+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Up to what age do you use a stroller?

Dd1 is 2.5 yo and dd2 is 8 months old. At what age does your child stop using the stroller?

I'm planning to buy a double stroller but I'm concerned the dd1 may not be using it for long...

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is 2 and from about 20 months i only very rarely used a stroller. He's a very good walker and doesn't run from me. I'd probably get a skateboard for your existing stroller rather than buy a double, and take a sling/carrier with you as well so if DD1 really wants to go in the stroller or needs a nap you can pop DD2 in the sling.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Danigail  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it depends on the child and what sort of walking you do. For example, we got rid of the pram for my 2.5yo as he wanted to walk everywhere and could walk for quite a way and wasn't a "runner". When I had my 2nd bub, my first was 24mths old, we didnt bother with a double stroller as she was happy to walk mostly, we didnt tend to do long walks and if she was tired would just sit on the little step on the front of the pram. We did a lot of fairly short walks so the kids got used to walking everywhere. I couldn't ever imagine my children still needing a stroller at 3 or above, but I know lots still do and that's fine. We did use a little cheap umbrella stroller for when we went on holidays and were doing lots of day-long outings.

Have you considered a skateboard attachment? They look great!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Danigail  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    I think it depends on the child and what sort of walking you do. For example, we got rid of the pram for my 2.5yo as he wanted to walk everywhere and could walk for quite a way and wasn't a "runner". When I had my 2nd bub, my first was 24mths old, we didnt bother with a double stroller as she was happy to walk mostly, we didnt tend to do long walks and if she was tired would just sit on the little step on the front of the pram. We did a lot of fairly short walks so the kids got used to walking everywhere. I couldn't ever imagine my children still needing a stroller at 3 or above, but I know lots still do and that's fine. We did use a little cheap umbrella stroller for when we went on holidays and were doing lots of day-long outings.

Have you considered a skateboard attachment? They look great!
    Not sure what that is. I will check it out. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    still need a stroller she is 3 ..and we are always out..I will not carry her!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd refused to go in the pram just before her 2nd birthday. She wanted to walk everywhere instead. Ds2 doesn't go in the pram much, we use a trolley. The layback stroller he's got pretty much only gets used if we'll be out all day.
    Ds1 used his pram until 2 months before he was 4 and he got his wheelchair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 was in a stroller until 3 but VERY rarely. And I hated the thing. I think I only used it a handful of times (she was carried a LOT). DD2 hasn't used a stroller or pram since about 18 months (also carried a lot).

I think if your DD1 still willingly sits in, it might be worthwhile, even just for 6 months...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS1 started wanting to walk everywhere from 22 months, and he never tried running off. We kept using the stroller until he was 3 - 3 1/2 if I decided to walk down to the shops, and then he would hop out when we got there.

DS2 is almost 17mo. We hardly ever go shopping. On the odd occasion that I do, we often just use a trolley, because I tack shopping onto my grocery shopping. He is a bit more of a runner than DS1, so I don't trust him to not be strapped into something at this stage.

That said, my sister's eldest was a runner. When she had number two just after he turned two, she took him out shopping every day for a week or so for not other reason than to teach him to walk next to the pram. Every day she promised him a treat IF he stayed walking right with her and didn't let go of the pram. If he wandered off, they went straight home, no treat. He learnt the drill.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    dd1 is 4.5yo & dd2 just turned 3 - i still use it. Luckily neither of them refuse it but when i'm in a hurry, when they are acting up and need to be contained, or when they are unwell, that is when i use it. DD2 is probably too big for it but I am not planning on getting rid of it just yet.
    The combined weight of kids+pram is almost 50kg so its not easy pushing them around esp if there is a hill involved but i wouldn't be without it tbh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My almost 3yo's are still in the pram. If we're out for the whole day they get tired of walking & want to ride.

Friends kids who are the same age still use the pram as well.