+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please help! 7.5 week old refusing to sleep during the day :(

DS has been a good day sleeper up until about a week and a half ago. He would settle and sleep for 2-3 hours 2x during the day in his bassinet. He is now refusing to sleep at all during the day unless he is in my arms or constantly moving in the pram. He will fall asleep during a feed or when being rocked but as soon as I put him in his bassinet he is wide awake. We have tried putting his bassinet on an angle, swaddling, leaving him to settle.. nothing seems to be working. I'm at a loss and very tired and frustrated. His night sleeps are still OK thank goodness. Im just at a loss as to what to do to help him. He is so tired and cranky during the day and we are getting nothing done. Is this just a phase or is there something else that I can try?
    Please help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes definitely a wonder week at 8 weeks, so he may just be peaking early... hopefully it will pass!
    my LO was like that from 4 - 8 weeks and then she was good from 9-12 weeks and then been very very unsettled from 12 - 15 weeks... some are only effected by the WW for a week or so, others less fortunate!
    have you tried a swing? that may help

3. The Following User Says Thank You to littlelev For This Useful Post:

danstacka  (27-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with the others. Its wonderweek stage! I remember it clearly. There will be lots of phases where bubs wont co operate with sleep for whatever reason. IMO, just do whatever you can to get bubs to have some sleep if possible. No sleep at all will produce an even more upset bubs....and mummy.
    I am curious to know however, what are you doing for night time sleep that is different from the the day time sleeps? My tip would be to settle him in a darkened room both for day time and night time sleeps and see if that helps. If you aim to be consistent with how your putting him to bed, he might and should eventually pick up on your cues and get a clear message about what you want him to do. Also aim to settle him to sleep in the same spot every time. ie his bassinette or cot. Wherever he easily settles at night.
    When i took my LO to sleep school there was a baby there that was in a similar situation. She was so overtired because she wasnt sleeping during the day. I noticed the nurses would put the baby in the cot, slightly on her side and pat in a rhythm gently on her thigh and Shhh as loud as her cries. After 2 days of this, the baby seemed quite content to go into the cot, have a few pats and Shh's and then fall asleep. I was amazed. Sometimes i guess, we just have to take the time out to teach bubs that its ok to fall asleep.
    Try not to stress though. Sometimes i used to do a feed in bed during the day and DD and i would fall asleep together and have a much needed rest. Or, id lay on the couch in a darkened lounge room, TV very low and watch day time soapies with DD asleep on my chest. Anything to get bubs to have a sleep!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jazzybaby For This Useful Post:

danstacka  (27-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzybaby View Post
    I am curious to know however, what are you doing for night time sleep that is different from the the day time sleeps? My tip would be to settle him in a darkened room both for day time and night time sleeps and see if that helps. If you aim to be consistent with how your putting him to bed, he might and should eventually pick up on your cues and get a clear message about what you want him to do. Also aim to settle him to sleep in the same spot every time. ie his bassinette or cot. Wherever he easily settles at night.
    When i took my LO to sleep school there was a baby there that was in a similar situation. She was so overtired because she wasnt sleeping during the day. I noticed the nurses would put the baby in the cot, slightly on her side and pat in a rhythm gently on her thigh and Shhh as loud as her cries. After 2 days of this, the baby seemed quite content to go into the cot, have a few pats and Shh's and then fall asleep. I was amazed. Sometimes i guess, we just have to take the time out to teach bubs that its ok to fall asleep.
    Thanks so much for all of your ideas! I've never heard of a wonder week before.. is this a week bub will have a progression or growth spurt??
    At night DS has the routine of being placed in his Love to Dream Swaddle, a feed, then cuddles and bed. He is usually asleep when I place him in his bassinet. I think he is just so tired that he stays down.
    I went to see a health nurse today and she has shown me some settling techniques the same as Jazzybaby mentioned. Just put him in his bassinet and did the rocking and Shushing and DS went to sleep! Took a bit to get him settled but it worked! I have wrapped him up tightly as well. I had been off and on with this due to being in QLD and the heat but it definitely helps to settle him. I have just ordered some sleepy wings (http://www.sleepywings.com.au) to use days during the day, in addition to swaddling, and hopefully they will help as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    the sleepy wings are great i have them im having trouble getting my 9 week old to sleep during the day, party because my 3.5 year old will make sudden noise as soon as he falls asleep arghhh! The wrapping tightly has some effect here and putting him in the pram on hard days and going for a walk helps

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mummy2Luca For This Useful Post:

danstacka  (28-03-2012)