+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Talk to the ob, but I'm pretty sure you can't electe to have a c- section in the public hospital for no medical reason. I had high blood pressure too during my pregnancy but it was just closely monitored during labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The public hospital I went to wouldn't even do the c-section when I did have medical problems!!
    They said they would "induce me and keep me under extremely close observation"
    Needless to say I was induced then rushed off for an emergency c-section. Wasn't awake and it was traumatic, and my daughter didnt come out in the best shape.

I ended up writing many complaints and seeing social workers at the hospital after she was born because not being awake for her birth left me quite depressed, not to mention I was in recovery for 4 hours because labour gave me a huge stack of medical problems.

The medical problems I had when I was pregnant that should have set alarm bells off at them to do the c-section were
    • undiagnosed gestional diabetes (found out I had it at 34 weeks)

• baby was big.. Born 10lbs 2oz at 39 weeks.

• Pre-eclampsia

• I had a accident which damaged my pelvis in the past, they were worried about what a baby would do to my pelvis once it went through the birth canal.

• I had my liver leaking bile acid

• she was breech, they managed to turn her head down after about 3 goes, but her head never descended (doesn't always mean c-section I know but when you add up the other stuff.. They should have just gone with c-section)

In reality I should have been more firm and said, no I want the c-section.. But it was my first baby and I thought they knew what they were talking about ect.

I have since revived a written apology from the hospital and have been told next time im pregnant they will see me through there private wing. They have also done an investigation into my pregnancy/labour/birth at that hospital and was told yes they should have done a c-section right away because the medical problems I and my daughter had after birth were mainly due to me being in labour, like my blood pressure and a blood clot that formed during labour, they could have been avoided if a c-section was done in the beginning.
    When my daughter came out the cord was around her neck and my placenta was starting to detach.. She also had meconium asperation.
    Total night mare!

But we now have private health so not talking any chances next time.

Yes mine is a bit of a horror story.. But I'm my experience public hospitals don't give out c-sections easily, and unfortunately I just had a very bad experience.
    And since having my daughter and reading and hearing others stories I'm not the only one who had an experience like mine when it came to medically needed c-sections!

I would think public doctors would almost laugh if you went in and said you wanted it for convenience.
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 26-03-2012 at 13:03.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMaria View Post
    Sorry, im new to all this i was adding the blood pressure thing into it i didnt realize i didnt put it in, in my first post. i didnt mean anything by it............ the capitals that is i just think that we should be able to chose what we want it is rather unfair, it wasnt aimed at u, i used ur quote as u said it was for convenience and i realized i hadnt put in about blood pressure problems and thort it would make sense... again im sorry i meant no ill will.

Ok, no worries. Just a typical internet misunderstanding.

If u have blood pressure probs, that may work in your favour. All u can do is ask. I think the induction suggestion might be more realistic opportunity for you.

Hope u get what u want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

MissMaria  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    Talk to the ob, but I'm pretty sure you can't electe to have a c- section in the public hospital for no medical reason. I had high blood pressure too during my pregnancy but it was just closely monitored during labour.
    how high did ur blood pressure get? where u on medication during pregnancy? i defs will be talking with my ob, the answer will either be yes or no hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had high bp and was induced followed by emergency cs. Apparently a high number of inductions end in cs. Public hospitals rarely allow elective cs and will not induce usually before 37/38 weeks unless there is a medical reason. I was medicated a lot for bp and the decision for them to induce took several weeks after being hospitalized for a week during week 37. The induction was horrific and next time I will be opting for elective cs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

MissMaria  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to point out op, that a c-section is major internal surgery. I think people forget that because it's such a common procedure these days. The reason a public hospital won't do it without medical reason, is because it is a big thing! They don't want to be cutting people open unless they absolutely have to.

Anyways, I just wanted to put that out there. Obviously only you can know what the best thing is for you and your bub, and if you truly think the surgery is in both of your best interests then you should push for it. The blood pressure thing might go in your favour. Good luck!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (26-03-2012),Madame Mayhem  (26-03-2012),MissMaria  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMaria View Post
    how high did ur blood pressure get? where u on medication during pregnancy? i defs will be talking with my ob, the answer will either be yes or no hehe
    i can't remember the highest reading i got but mine was due to fluid retetion. I put 25 kg on in my pregnancy and lost 20 of that in hosptial. Was never put on medication. After being in labour for 10+ hours my OB decided to take me for a c-section anyway.

I know what you mean about family coming for the birth, none of my family lives close by either which makes things difficult to arranging time off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    mine was due to fluid retetion. I put 25 kg on in my pregnancy and lost 20 of that in hosptial.
    my dr has me on medication mine has gone up significantly every time i go back and see her this last time it was 165/80 and she said she wouldnt leave it any longer she had 2 put me on medication. shes also worrying about my weight as im putting on like 3 times the amount in a few wks than i should be, she told me the other day "im turning into a fatty and i need 2 get walking" haha i couldnt believe it............ i dont feel as though ive put on alot tho and i dred getting on the scales now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    And trust me.. If you can avoid the c-section.. Please ovoid it!! Get educated about the blood pressure! Do you know how bad it is and is it preeclampsia?? Will an early epidural lower it??. There are options depending on what level your blood pressure is at, and what's causing it. So many things you can ask which can make a huge difference to wether or not the c-section is needed.

I was all for c-sections when I was pregnant... Let me tell you it's not just the after pain that sucks, it's the not being able to get up during the night to get your baby with out a nurse bringing her to you, or your husband helping you out of bed.
    Not being able to change there first nappy, or dress them in there first set of clothes, or not being able to go with them if they end up under the lights or when they go for routine tests at the hospital in there first few hours or days. The side effects from morphine.. I was vomiting the whole time and delusional the stuff they gave me to stop the vomiting made me have panic attacks (even though I have had morphine in the past and had no issues) I can't really remember my daughters first few days
    Breast feeding is HARD because you never had the skin to skin contact.
    And when they latch it usually hurts your uterus a bit any way as it helps it shrink back down.. Try doing it after a c-section :-0 and if you decided to go with formula.. Try sitting there for ages with a screaming hungry baby waiting for ages for the nurse to come in after you hit the buzzer so they can go and make YOUR baby a bottle
    Might not seem like much but it's the little things... And it made me very very depressed..

It's also hard to know that whilst you were in recovery your husband got to experience you child's first few hours and you didn't.. And never will be able to once that time is gone.

When you get back home and your off morphine.. And the pain actually hits you..
    And think of the future!
    I had my c-section done 14 months ago, can't do sit ups ect to loose the flabby belly because when you work the muscles they HURT! And HURT for days lol.
    I have scare tissue that has formed along the c-section incision in my uterus so hence the pain.. Not all people get it but if you do.. It's not nice..

Also every time I get my period I get slight pain there, and my scar is still NUMB its a horrible sensation
    And very now and again you get shooting pains flow through it.

There not just cutting a baby out, it's a big operation...

I never had any infections after it and bleeding was very minimal.
    My uterus clamped down easy after the c-sec so I had no issues with possible hysterectomy or internal bleeding. So I was lucky and things for the actual procedure went well considering all the medical problems I did have.

But I feel for the people who aren't so lucky and have to deal with all the little things on top.

It took me a long long time to bind with my baby, and there are so many little things that make me sad even to this day.

Please weight up your options, don't get the c-section for convince and IF your blood pressure can be managed then look into it.
    try maybe going for induction if you live far away or try an stay in a motel around you due date if you can afford it... I'm not saying all this to sound like a vaginal birthing extremist.
    I'm saying it so you can ask your self if your willing to live with some of the regrets and problems I have from my c-section.
    ESPECIALLY if your able to avoid one.

What ever happens, Good luck and best wishes to you and your LO
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 26-03-2012 at 13:29.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (26-03-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazGotHam View Post
    Just wanted to point out op, that a c-section is major internal surgery. I think people forget that because it's such a common procedure these days. The reason a public hospital won't do it without medical reason, is because it is a big thing! They don't want to be cutting people open unless they absolutely have to.
    this is true and i know it is a major thing, i had my appendix taken out in june and it was not a seriously bad case or anything and i know they could have taken it out keyhole (as they did my sisters) or with a small incision (as they did my fathers) , but instead i woke up with a 3-4 inch cut up my right side (not bikini line, where it should have been) and 15 staples, which took 6 weeks at least to heal, and i still hav problems with it hurting and it has loooooved all the stretching my sking has been doing hahahaha, i have seriously thought about what im getting myself into and i think it will be a benefit...........but we just have 2 wait and see