+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like you've got a great baby sitter and you should make good use of her!

You said yourself that she is quite mature , and being your sister , you'd know her pretty well.

If teenagers and young people are fairly mature they actually make great babysitters , because they have the energy and the fun factor that kids love. I am a lot different now as a Mum then I was a couple of years ago as a babysitter. They have the energy and patience to sit there and read 15 books before bed , because they don't have to think abuot the fact that there is 2 loads of laundry and the dishes to do !

I understand how hard it is to leave our little ones though! Just enjoy yourself though! Mummies are people too !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hell yes! obviously if I knew them and knew they were mature and responsible! I was babysitting other people's kids at 11! I worked out the other day that DD1 will be almost 15 when these babies I'm growing now turn 5, the prospect of having a live in babysitter (who will obviously be paid and be allowed to not accept jobs!) is very very exciting!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Hmmm, I don't know. My problem with young teens babysitting is not the babysitting part, most would have no problem with looking after the child and making sure they are happy, fed and go to bed etc. My problem is their ability to cope in event of an emergency. For example, my husband is a fireman and a while ago went to a devastating fire in which a 14yo babysitter and a 2yo child died. The teen was cooking some food on the stove, got distracted and the resulting fire sadly killed them both. The poor teen tried to put out the fire but was overwelmed by smoke, just a tragedy.

I also think about medical emergencies such as choking or burns and would the babysitter know how to cope or what to do in such an event? A child-care worker at least has to have First-aid training.

I suppose this is worst case senario, but as parents who work in the Emergency field we see too many accidents/emergencies and I would have trouble entrusting my children to someone who a)has no children of their own and b) has little life experience on how to deal with an emergency.

We have no family around for babysitting and we sure could do with a night out, but I just can't bring myself to use a teenage babysitter.
    Thankyou for outlining some very important factors that i too though about when accepting her offer. I spoke with her about what to do in an emergency and said that the most important thing is their safety i wouldn't want her to try and extinguish a fire. I also have full ambulance cover and told her to call an ambulance if there were an emergency. My mum lives just around the corner too so if she couldn't settle DD my mum would have come round. I see where you are coming from though and that's why i was worried but she did such a good job i have alot of trust in her now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally, no. If i HAD to, i would only have the 16 year old either to to "play and entertain" or be there while DD is asleep. Then i'd have less to worry about.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When I was 16, a little girl I looked after had an anaphylactic reaction to egg fumes through a window. I used the epipen and called the ambulance and then her parents who met us at the hospital.

If they're responsible (and you'll know if they are), they'll handle emergencies well, too. It's so, so, so dependent on the person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    When I was 16, a little girl I looked after had an anaphylactic reaction to egg fumes through a window. I used the epipen and called the ambulance and then her parents who met us at the hospital.

If they're responsible (and you'll know if they are), they'll handle emergencies well, too. It's so, so, so dependent on the person.
    Wow, that would be terrifying for an adult let alone a 16 yr old!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a heads up its illegal to leave a child under 12 home alone under child protection laws let alone have them babysit.
    I think sensible 16 year old is an appropriate babysitter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to take care of my younger siblings all the time from when I was about 7. This included feeding, changing, bathing etc. I thought this was pretty normal at the time, though I wasn't supposed to tell people that I looked after my younger siblings...By the sounds of things from other people, this wasn't as normal as I thought? I grew up in a big family and figured this was the 'done thing'?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 15 year old niece has watched my younger kids for me before while i went to the hair dressers for a couple of hrs it all worked out great they live walking distance from the salon so they came in to visit me and that some teenagers are very mature and reliable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Sure. I have as well - an ex BHer babysat my daughter for me when she was 2.

Some 16-year-old have babies of their own. They manage well enough.

It would obviously depend on who the 16-year-old was, but that could be the same for any age... there are some people in their 30s who I'd not trust to take care of DD either.