+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LilMuffin View Post
    Thanks ladies you have all made me feel so much better. I think my main problem is my sister is the youngest (10 years between me and her) and I have always babied her. She is very responsible for her age and such a lovely young lady now and genuinely loves my DD. She dedicated all her time to my lil girl whist she was up and then once she had gone down for the night did homework. I did give her some pocket money too even though she said she didn't want anything for doing it, it is honestly something both DH and I appreciated as I said we haven't been out together in ages. It was our 5 year wedding anniversary so we thought we should do something.
    Aw she sounds like a sweetheart And it will be so special for your DD to grow up with an auntie that is so close to her in age, what a special relationship that will be. Yes i can totally understand that its a bit of a mental adjustment for you to see her as old enough to do that, when you have been so much older all your lives. I'm sure your sis is delighted to have you trust her so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It would depend on the 16 year old.
    We left DS (17 months) with my 16 year old sister all afternoon (1pm - 6pm) Saturday while we were at a wedding. At 6pm my dad took over from her for the night.
    We are completely comfortable leaving DS with my sister. He absolutely adores her and she is great with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally, I probably wouldn't hire a 16yr old stranger to watch my kids, but then again, if the babysitter was highly recommended by friends or family I might consider it. But that said, my 17yr old brother has watched my boys on occasions since he was 16, he is fairly mature, my boys adore him and he always calls if he has any problems.

Your sister sounds very level headed, I think it's great your able to have her watch your kids, it gives hers a chance to earn some extra $$ and she could use you as a reference when looking for parttime work

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When my nephew was born I was 15 and I used to look after him a lot when he was a baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmm, I don't know. My problem with young teens babysitting is not the babysitting part, most would have no problem with looking after the child and making sure they are happy, fed and go to bed etc. My problem is their ability to cope in event of an emergency. For example, my husband is a fireman and a while ago went to a devastating fire in which a 14yo babysitter and a 2yo child died. The teen was cooking some food on the stove, got distracted and the resulting fire sadly killed them both. The poor teen tried to put out the fire but was overwelmed by smoke, just a tragedy.

I also think about medical emergencies such as choking or burns and would the babysitter know how to cope or what to do in such an event? A child-care worker at least has to have First-aid training.

I suppose this is worst case senario, but as parents who work in the Emergency field we see too many accidents/emergencies and I would have trouble entrusting my children to someone who a)has no children of their own and b) has little life experience on how to deal with an emergency.

We have no family around for babysitting and we sure could do with a night out, but I just can't bring myself to use a teenage babysitter.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally wouldn't JMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LilMuffin View Post
    Last night DH and I had a date night for the first time in over a year, DD has just turned 3. I don't have alot of babysitters as options and my little sister who is 16 offered to mind our lil girl. Before we left I fed her dinner and put out her pajamas, teddy and dummy for bed so all my sister had to do was bath her and put her to bed. I was really worried and had a hard time relaxing whilst out, my DH reassured me that most babysitters are about 16 and my sister will be fine. I rang her a couple of times and we were only gone for 3 hours. When we got home my sister said everything wen't well and DD went to bed on time etc.,. Am i silly for worrying? Would you have left your 3 year old in the care of a 16 year old? My sister is quite mature for her age and is really good with my daughter I just worry.
    When I read the title my first instinct was to say no way! But then I read it's your sister and she's mature for her age etc so yes, if it were my younger sister I would say there'd be no problem with it. I can't say I would leave my child with a stranger though ...

Glad you and DH were able to get out and be together

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would depend on the 16yo..
    I from the age of 15 had my cousin's little boy from when he was 3 months old every saturday and sunday while her and her hubby worked. I loved it and both her boys still. I spend most weekends babysitting kids of various ages and mostly they were people who were friends of my parents with younger children. I just used to do homework and watch movies, only had drama once with a friend of my cousins little girl who'd been left with me and my cousins DS she tripped and fell and her lip was bleeding but a cold flannel and lots of cuddles fixed it
    In saying that there is no way i would let my friends 16yo babysit our son when he comes, she's not very mature and i would worry to no end about leaving him in her care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I babysat my parents' friends' kids many times at age 14/15/16.
    Of course it depends on the 16yo and how well your kids know them but this is their aunt, I would be totally happy with that and try to make it a regular thing

(My sis is 22 and way too busy working and partying to babysit for me lol)

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As long as I know the 16year old yes.

I once used a 15 year old, that I didn't know ( her mother is a doula and birth consultant, so I stupidly assumed she would be well educated and have knowledge about kids)

I could not have been more wrong.
    I wrote that bedtime was 8pm, we got home at ten and they were still up... Eating hydrolite ice blocks (? Wtf ?)

We only had prepaid Internet at the time, she used $70 worth on YouTube and gothic/vampire/suicide forums.

She had eaten a whole block of chocolate that was hidden in the fridge.

Needless to say, I won't hire her again.

But I have previously used a 14 year old (my best friends little sister)
    Ds was already in bed, and he always slept through, it was just a matter of having someone in the house with him while he slept. She cleaned the whole house!!! Lol.

So in short if I knew them yes, a stranger no.