+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah, I agree, it depends on the maturity of the 16 year olds.
    My Godparents kids are 16 and 17 and I would happily leave my 13 month old with either of them. Even though we don't see them very often, he was very happy to be left with them at the back end of the house while we chatted. They love him and I felt very confident with them. I haven't used them to babysit before but would be happy if I couldn't get my sisters for some reason I would ring them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if I would, but the 16 year olds I know are still pretty immature. I agree though, it would come down to maturity and how well you know the person opposed to the age!

Hopefully next time, you will relax a little more and have a good time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I was nannying at 16.

It's the maturity of the person, not their age that matters IMO.
    agreed I babysit nights from whn I was in year 11 (15 years old) but I feel i was mature and level headed enough to my sister at 15 however I would have never left with a kid hahah

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by tea&toast; 06-03-2014 at 15:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies you have all made me feel so much better. I think my main problem is my sister is the youngest (10 years between me and her) and I have always babied her. She is very responsible for her age and such a lovely young lady now and genuinely loves my DD. She dedicated all her time to my lil girl whist she was up and then once she had gone down for the night did homework. I did give her some pocket money too even though she said she didn't want anything for doing it, it is honestly something both DH and I appreciated as I said we haven't been out together in ages. It was our 5 year wedding anniversary so we thought we should do something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 14 year old Step Daughter looks after DS and DD for us. It definitely comes down to maturity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to babysit when I was 14 or 15. I was even left to take a little girl to a show and then McDonald's afterwards... I would never allow a 15 year old to do that, and I remember being really nervous the whole time. But just being there to put them to bed would probably be fine depending on the babysitter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't have a 16 year old that I didn't know well watch my kids, but if said 16 year old was family (like your sister) or I knew them very well and trusted them it would be ok. I'm not a fan of leaving my babies with anyone though, so I can understand why you struggled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, as long as I thought he/she was up to it... I would asses their capability the same way I would asses any babysitters capability... There are plenty of 45 year olds I would not leave my child with

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It depends on the 16 year old. There are 40 year olds I wouldn't leave my kids with and my sil who is 15 is responsible enough to be left in charge for an hour or so. I don't put too much pressure on her eg I leave the 4 year old because he talks, toilets himself etc but I don't leave the cranky 9 month old who won't take a bottle.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk