+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Torn - wrecked from BFeeding but for my sanity need to wean. Advice anyone?

DS is almost 6 mths and has always been a big feeder, i absolutley love feeding him. Recently though he has started using my nipple to sleep, he feeds and stops sucking just sits my nipple in his mouth and goes into dreamland, if i take my nipple out he will scream, this has resulted in him co-sleeping all the time as i dont want him to wake up DD (19mo) with his screaming. He has no interest in solids, he is a big baby (11kgs) and i thought he would love it, im doing BLW as he doesnt take a spoon, he will try and eat but he doesnt have that much interest, in not worried about it but would like if he took to it. I have tried to give him EBM but will not take a bottle. He feeds 3 hourly and feeds at 11 pm 3am then wakes at 5, i cant do it any more im so tired. But i am devastated at the thoughts of not feeding him, so what do i do? I am starting to feel so tied to hm and the house, DH and i are suffering, DH is great and is really understanding but I miss our time together and DTD s not an option with a 6 mo attached to me!

I dont know what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub sounds very similar to yours. She is 7 months (and 9kg), and with some work we have had a little bit of improvement in the last month. She was also very attached to a dummy to sleep. Basically we had to break the association with sucking to fall asleep. There was some crying involved the first day, but now she happily falls asleep on her own. I have an ebook, which goes through what to do, there is a bit of crying, but you stay in the room with them the whole time. She still feeds overnight though, sometimes only once, sometimes twice or 3 times on a bad night.
    But I also feed her puree's as well as giving her some things to pick up herself, but she still isn't great at it. She eats a lot of solids! My first bub was also really hungry and big, he fed 2hrly day and night for 3 months, so I was expecting it this time!
    I would encourage you to hang in there, it gets so much easier from here on in, the first 6 months really are the hardest for breastfeeding. But if you have to wean for you sanity, alot of the benefits of breastfeeding you have already given him, by making it to 6 months, so well done!
    I have found a routine helps too, so you know when they will need feeding, that way you can leave bub with hubby and go out for a few hours, I even went to a conference yesterday and left hubby with both kids from 8am until 5pm, he just bought bub in to me for a BF at 10am and 2pm! She wont take a bottle either! DH was shattered after a whole day
    I hope something in there helps, if you want more details about the ebook I used, give me a PM.

ETA- sorry I just re-read your post, and wanted to add, that he will probably take solids better if you can cut down the night feeds, but it is hard work. Then he will sleep better if he is taking more solids. Viscious cycle!
    Last edited by LittleBug'sMum; 26-03-2012 at 08:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a long road isn't it? I'd try using the Pantley Pull Off. I never thought it would work but it does! Then you don't have to wean

4. The Following User Says Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Pantley's pull off method worked here and with no crying. It even allowed us to only feed twice overnight versus 'the living on the boob thing' at 8-10mths and then eventually night wean at 14mths.

BLW takes time to work - my DD only got into solids at 12mths old. Now at 18mths she eats like a piggy and absolutely everything.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (26-03-2012),captainscaptain  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Pantley's PO worked here too. Definitely have a read of the 'no cry sleep solution'.

it is not uncommon for kids to not get into solids til 8 months or more, and starting solids also doesn't always affect sleep.

How would you feel if you weaned now, and bub was still waking and you had to rock or use another method to get bub to sleep? At least with breastfeeding, you can do it lying down. I don't think the breastfeeding is necessarily the problem.

sleep deprivation sucks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just read up on the Pantleys PO method and will definitely try it! Thanks for the tip!

I am definitely not ready to cease BFing I love it, I'm just so tired and craving a decent nights sleep. I'm not too worried about the solids I guess I just hoped something would change!

Thanks for the support! I need it to just get through the next few days!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing for future help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Agree with the others! I don't think it's the breastfeeding that's the problem, moreso the need for a sleep aid, which is currently your nipple! Hopefully you sort it out, I haven't heard of this pull off method thing, I might look it up too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    Pantley's pull off method worked here and with no crying. It even allowed us to only feed twice overnight versus 'the living on the boob thing' at 8-10mths and then eventually night wean at 14mths.

BLW takes time to work - my DD only got into solids at 12mths old. Now at 18mths she eats like a piggy and absolutely everything.
    You give me hope! I started BLW with DS around 7 or 8 months because spoon feeding wasn't working. He is nearly 12 months now and eats next to nothing (except boob). I hope he gets into food soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    subscribing for future help too