+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know not everyone thinks it's a choice I think the majority know sexuality isn't something you choose, it's an innate part of your being.

I grew up thinking I was straight because that's how I was conditioned to think. Then I went through a period where I considered myself asexual, then I met DP and realised I was never asexual, I was just never attracted to men. I tried - I really did - to make it work with guys. I even went out with one guy who proposed to me, and I seriously considered saying yes because it would have been so much easier than questioning myself even further - but I couldn't because there was nothing there.

But when you say it in reverse - "heterosexuality is a choice!" it just sounds ridiculous. You can't help who you're attracted to and to suggest a large chunk of the population have chosen a sexuality that will offer a significantly greater number of challenges is just crazy.

Not to mention that humans are animals. And homosexuality occurs in thousands of species so evolutionary speaking, it's not remarkable at all.

It upsets me to hear that people think it's okay that I have a gay relationship if I chose to but that since biologically my partner and I can't make a baby, we obviously shouldn't be able to have one and other such nonsense.

That's all I wanted to say.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (26-03-2012),MegaGuts  (28-03-2012),shelle65  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I agree with you rainbow. Not many people 'choose' their sexuality whether they be straight or gay. I actually don't believe that many people are 100% dead set hetero, I think there is a lot of fear out there to admit that. I can admit it.

My BIL is so homophobic to the point where he refuses to allow the tv show Glee to be on in his house. I seriously wonder about him and whether he's overcompensating for some feelings he won't admit. It's pretty extreme. I have no doubt he'd be 10000% against allowing gays to marry, I think it's none of his business which consenting adults marry or not - it has absolutely no affect on his own marriage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh wow if only it was that easy I'm bi not by choice in any sense thanks to a awsome dh I get to explore this and not live a complete lie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I read a really interesting article when I was studying sexuality in one of my gender/cultural studies classes which suggested that internalised homophobia was the most common type of homophobia there is; people who are same-sex attracted but can't admit to it so exert there frustration towards those who are 'out' and are able to act on it themselves.

I believe sexuality is continuum and people fall somewhere on the line, some closer toward heterosexuality, some closer to homosexuality and some in the middle (bi). Pretty much the Kinsey scale, actually.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-03-2012),MsTruth  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yep, that's exactly what I believe too rainbow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently getting my hair straightened by my gay hairdresser ( who is a good family friend) reading these threads out to him - he said why on earth would he "choose" a life of discrimination, being bullied at school, being frowned upon by his church, having his parents told to "fix" him, having some family members say they disapprove of his lifestyle , to not be able to marry his boyfriend of 5 years ( yet!)
    If it were a choice he would choose to be straight as life would be easier

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (26-03-2012),Gandalf  (26-03-2012),HouseOfFun  (26-03-2012),MegaGuts  (28-03-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu56 View Post
    When I was in my late teens/early 20's there was definitely experimentation but I most assuredly decided it wasn't for me. Would that be choosing to be straight? Or do you consider that "always was straight but was curious"?
    I would say that you "discovered" that it wasn't for you, rather than that you "decided".

I don't know if anyone actually believes that being gay is a choice; it's pretty clear that we don't choose who we find attractive, however we can choose who we pursue or enter into a relationship with. I've found plenty of men attractive who I knew weren't good for me, so while I couldn't choose whether or not I was attracted to them I could choose not to be with them.

I suppose it is this logic that people use when they imply that gay people have a choice. No, they can't choose whether they're attracted to a person of the same sex, but they can choose to leave it at that, show incredible self-control and not actually pursue a relationship with them.

Now, why they would be expected to do that is beyond me...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Lulu56  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu56 View Post
    I hope this doesn't come out wrong. I'm not looking to stir the pot but I'm hoping for understanding!

When I was in my late teens/early 20's there was definitely experimentation but I most assuredly decided it wasn't for me. Would that be choosing to be straight? Or do you consider that "always was straight but was curious"?

I know there are people that believe you "can't" be bisexual. There are others that think you can't be curious about your sexuality either. That it is an entirely black and white issue. No choices and no variations.

Personally I can't view sexuality in such extreme terms. Just like I couldn't say it's a choice or not for everyone. Human variations are so widespread... it's impossible to say what is one thing for someone is the same for the others.
    I think that'd be the same as me, testing it out with boys but realising it wasn't for me. Not a choice, just a realisation?

I absolutely think you can be bisexual though - as I believe sexuality is fluid; a continuum where different people fall along it in different places.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Lulu56  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I'm currently getting my hair straightened by my gay hairdresser ( who is a good family friend) reading these threads out to him - he said why on earth would he "choose" a life of discrimination, being bullied at school, being frowned upon by his church, having his parents told to "fix" him, having some family members say they disapprove of his lifestyle , to not be able to marry his boyfriend of 5 years ( yet!)
    If it were a choice he would choose to be straight as life would be easier
    Agreed. It'd definitely be easier to be straight. If it were a choice, I'd choose it. But it's not. I guess I could choose to end my relationship and go out with a man. But then I'd be miserable, and my happiness is not something I'll sacrifice so others feel better about themselves.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Posted a video about this in the other thread... No one gave a toss.