+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default anyone souly feed expressed breast milk in bottle

just looking at all my options anyone freed bub only expressed breast milk so basically bottle fed with your milk instead of formula

Thanks
    Reviews
    I expressed for ten months with my 23 weeker. Only managed 8 months with my 30 weeker. It's hard work but worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did it for four months with my dd. She wasn't a sleeper though and would only do 20min stints at a time so i would put her down, express and she would be up again by the time id finished.

It was extremely exhausting but i felt it was a good compromise when i was struggling so much with breast feeding.

If your thinking about doing jt make sure you get a double breast pump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did with DS & DD for 6 months, but my milk supply was quite low so I needed Motilium tablets to aid supply and what I was expressing fell just a little shy for bubs so both were topped up with formula. They had about 3/4 breast milk a day and up to 1/4 formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep - 4 months with DS2 until his reflux got out of control & I couldn't keep up anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, the crap some of these midwives tell you! They told me I shouldn't express more than one feed a day as my milk would dry up because my body would know it wasnt the baby sucking and would stop producing milk.

Things like this are the reasons I found it so hard to BF and gave up after a month!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I did for just over a year. If you've got a good supply, it's quite possible. It is quite a commitment and I found that my day was dictated by the clock, but I was happy to do it for my DS, and it just became part of my daily routine.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Honestly, the crap some of these midwives tell you! They told me I shouldn't express more than one feed a day as my milk would dry up because my body would know it wasnt the baby sucking and would stop producing milk.
    Well... I think this is often true, at least to an extent. The whole demand=supply thing relies on actual breastfeeding to properly stimulate supply in many women.

To answer the OP, I expressed for DS1 for three months, but my supply dwindled and dwindled and so his formula comps gradually took over. I found it incredibly exhausting, emotionally and physically. I had such low supply that I never had enough milk to get ahead of his feeds, so basically had to express at feed time while he cried. If you had a good supply to start with I think the whole thing would be much easier though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup - I expressed for my twins....9mths for my DS, who then refused the bottle and I returned to breastfeeding him. Still breastfeeding him now. And expressed for my DD until she was 1, then I started her on goats milk. Can be done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlicken79 View Post
    I expressed for ten months with my 23 weeker. Only managed 8 months with my 30 weeker. It's hard work but worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    I did for just over a year. If you've got a good supply, it's quite possible. It is quite a commitment and I found that my day was dictated by the clock, but I was happy to do it for my DS, and it just became part of my daily routine.
    I am in awe of you two. You should be so proud of that! I expressed for my premmie as she couldn't breastfeed, but I only managed for 2 months
    Last edited by chameleon; 26-03-2012 at 13:28.