+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default when did u introduce a dummy?

basically I think my 4 day old is using my poor nipple as a dummy!! she has been latched on for 3hrs and had 10mins off in which time I gave her a top up with formula thinking she was hungry but now she is back on the boob she was rooting around like she was hungry which was impossible but I latched her on anyway and she is basically barely sucking like a dummy. problem is she will fall asleep let go but as soon as I wrap jet she wakes and the process starts again I was thinking a dummy might help even tho not recommended

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did it! My DS was 5 days when I introduced a dummy. I did it because in my mind if I didn't try I knew BFing wouldn't last if I was constantly feeding for comfort sucking. So it was that and the possibly of problems or most likely weaning. We ended up with no confusion and a happy bub who fed then slept for 2 or 3 hours with a dummy.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd had a dummy practically from word go. My hospital recommended them. She still cried for a feed. You need to preserve yourself too. Please trust yourself to know what's right for the two of you. If she doesn't wake after three hours, then wake her for a feed. Babies suck amniotic fluid inutero so they want to suck when they come out. You won't break or ruin her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We introduced it at 2 weeks - took a bit for her to take it but it's a life saver at times. Especially when it comes to settling and waiting for bottles to be made up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Four days here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds was in the scn due to being a prem and they asked if he could have one at a few days old to encourage him to suck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    1 week. It was recommended and has been the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As soon as she started crying! No not quite, but I took dummies with me to hospital, but didn't use them there, but started not long after we got home. Really helped my bub settle, and we haven't had any problems with BF.
    We have just given dummies up at 7 months, which was tough for maybe a day, but I don't regret giving it to her when she was little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In hospital on the 2nd day. We were having trouble feeding as dd could attach but not actually suck. After a lot of stress of having to be "milked" by two midwives on each nipple into a syringe at every feed. I gave dd a dummy over night and the next morning I tried to feed and she attached and fed like a pro!

We had no confusion and we breastfed for over 8 months until she self weaned Dummies are not the devil

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took dummies to hospital with me a three times. All my babies have been very "sucky" and at the slightest encouragement my poor boobs end up so engorged they look like they will explode. So the dummy helps balance their need to suck with my need to avoid pron star boobs. Also, my babies are refluxy, so sucking a dummy after a feed helps keep the milk down.
    I'm of the "give them early, get rid of them early" camp when it comes to dummies. I've read that they can cause issues with establishing breastfeeding if given too soon, but never experienced that personally.