+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default is an hour enough?

my dd is only 4 days old but has only started on the boob yesterday is an hour attached to the boob enough for a feed? cause I feel it's a
    ll I can handle or should I let her feed as long as she keeps sucking? I DON'T KNOW

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndtimemumma View Post
    my dd is only 4 days old but has only started on the boob yesterday is an hour attached to the boob enough for a feed? cause I feel it's a
    ll I can handle or should I let her feed as long as she keeps sucking? I DON'T KNOW
    I would feed her until she comes off or until she is asleep and it feels like butterfly flicks. Does she fall asleep in that hour?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I would feed her until she comes off or until she is asleep and it feels like butterfly flicks. Does she fall asleep in that hour?
    I have thought she was asleep twice I get her wrapped up and then bam she opens her eyes and starts rooting around for food. I am currently on my second boob almost 2 hrs into this feed I am running completely blind

Thanks
    Reviews
    still going at 3 hours OUCH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ouchies! is your milk not in yet? Maybe give your nipples a rest and try to settle her another way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin13 View Post
    Ouchies! is your milk not in yet? Maybe give your nipples a rest and try to settle her another way.
    I don't think my milk is in yet it's still quite yellow when I express some
    she is just so hungry

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS never latched off and would be there for ever. I'd go 20 mins on each side and latch off... And he'd be asleep by then anyway, but then I'd feed again when he needed it which was about an hour and a half after that... I think you should Feed as often as u can but latch off after about 40mins to an hour. Good luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rocker For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (31-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    My DS never latched off and would be there for ever. I'd go 20 mins on each side and latch off... And he'd be asleep by then anyway, but then I'd feed again when he needed it which was about an hour and a half after that... I think you should Feed as often as u can but latch off after about 40mins to an hour. Good luck
    I did this too. It will save your nipples. Doesn't sound like your milk is really in yet. Hang in there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ideally let lo suck as much as they want as this is signalling your body to make the milk lo wants. BUT if your nipples are sore (and how can they not be at 3 hours?) then yes I'd be trying to get a break. I had the same issue with my lo feeding from midnight to 6 am for the first several weeks - six hours straight. I was generally in tears by 3am. The problem was he would fall asleep but I couldn't transfer him into the cot without waking him, and then he'd want to eat again! It was exhausting! In retrospect I wish I'd done two things differently: 1) I wish I'd learned to feed lying down sooner and 2) I wish I'd learned the "Pantley pull off" sooner (from No Cry Sleep Solution). Basically this would have meant I could rest while I fed and when lo was doing the painful sleepy sucks for ages I could remove my nipple without disturbing lo and we could both have a nice sleep. I eventually learned to do this and in fact am still doing it now at 19mo. It works for us! Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also, I think it's irrelevant to a point, whether or not your milk is in yet. The colostrum you have prior to milk is incredibly beneficial for lo, but the "let them nurse if they want to suck" theory, I believe applies whether they are drinking milk or colostrum. Don't let anyone convince you lo needs formula as your milk isn't in. It will mean they don't get as much of the terrific colostrum, but will also mean your milk takes longer to come in and your supply won't be as abundant.