+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Ill help where and when I can but I had my kids at 21 & 24 so I imagine ill be working full time when my kids have children under school age.

But I think ill be a have the kids on weekends type grandma.

My mil doesnt work and she offered to take jasper full time - which was a heck no from me. But he was a teeny tiny bsby and then when I did work I took him with me.

My mum works full time - but again I want to raise my baby and by the time shes old enough to leave for work in my mind id rather her in formal childcare. Though my mum does spend lots of time with jasper teaching him number & letters etc.

My mil would just teach my kids crazy old wives tales. Lol.

Sent from my X10i using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 26-03-2012 at 07:07.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

jenrose  (27-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I will be there for them as much as they need me to be.
    My Mum has been fantastic and helped me out so much as far as caring for them while I was at work and once a month she sends DF and I off on date nights and she has the girls.
    Now I'm not actually working she tells me how much she misses them even though we still catch up probably 3 times a week lol.

I appreciate my Mum's help so much and will definitely do the same for my kids if they want or need me to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DH and I don't have any family over here so will not have any family support. However if they were I know they would definitely help us out. It's really sad that they won't get to spend so much time with our children as their other grandchildren but obviously that is a decision we have made that we need to live with.

I would like to think I will help out my kids in the future but I would never, for example, ask them to look after my kids each day when I went to work. Nor would I ask my parents for that level of support if they were here. I think one week day would be great as well as the occasional evening or weekend babysitting would be perfect!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If my kids want my help then yep, I'll be there every day they need me!

My mum looks after my dad who is now sick again, is the president of a club committee and still manages to help me and my sister every time we need her.
    My mil only helps when it suits her which is usually when other people are around so that she can show off.

I've learnt alot of what I want to be like as a grandma off my mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had zero help from my own parents, which makes it incredibly hard to find work (moved back to home city after he was born so need to find a new job). I need childcare days before I take on a new job, but can't afford extra childcare days until I have a job... Bit of a catch 22. But the wait lists for 0-2 child care is long, and suitable work isn't exactly abundant here, so taking on the extra days is a bit impossible unless I can get a job with flexibility on days. Yet I can't take on a new job until I have the extra days! People who's parents are available to help ought to be SO grateful!

I know I will do everything I can to help DS with his own children and whatever else he needs through his life.

I draw the line at doing his washing for him each week! That's just indulgent and unnecessary!

However, being a male im sure he will have much more support than I've had in life anyway!
    Last edited by Ellewood; 26-03-2012 at 07:37.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope I can. My parents (retired) would love to have DS a couple of times a week so I could work, but unfortunatly they live overseas MIL will be moving here next year and has made it clear that she will not be offering to have DS on a weekly regular basis, she'll probably be working full time anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the average circumstances between the generations have changed a lot as far as finances go, so I don't think I will be retired when I am a grandparent. A lot of people in my generation (y) are going to be working a lot longer.

My MIL is able to help out a bit but she hasn't had a paid job for 25 years. I highly doubt I will be in the same situation, although if finances allowed it I would LOVE to look after grand kids!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope to be a very involved grandparent

I'm only having all of these children so I can have LOTS of grand-babies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't have any grandparent support. My mum and dad live 1.5hrs away and my mum has MS, so not capable. My inlaws live overseas.

It's hard to say, but being an "older" mum, I don't know if I would have the energy to look after my grandchildren full-time if my children worked. One or 2 days, yes, but 5 days? No.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely offer to have my grandchildren one day a week and for date nights however, I hope my DD has the opportunity to stay home as long as she can with her new bub. I don't get any help from my mum because I don't ask for it she is quite sick and I would rather put DD in cc than see my mum struggle. My MIL is not interested in looking after grandkids which is fine because she enjoys her retirement, I don't resent her for that choice either. It just makes it hard sometimes for date night, last night was the first time we had been out together in over a year and that was for our wedding anniversary. I actually asked my 16 year old sister to mind DD I was so panicked i couldn't really enjoy myself. She did a terrific job I will definitely ask her again.