+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Armadale Vs SJOG Murdoch Vs Public

Just found out that we are pregnant with our first. We have been asked where we want to go. We have private health insurance, but not sure how much the out of pocket expenses will be, so we want to consider all options available.
    Was hoping for some feedback/reviews on the Armadale (both public and private sections) and SJOG Murdoch.
    Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    - Jo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had dd at sjog Murdoch and will be back there in November.
    Loved my care there, can't fault it, and everyone i know who's been there has had a good experience. Can highly recommend my on as well if interested - Colin Blair
    Good luck and congrats!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh his fees are 600 first visit, 2150 management fee and 120 every other. You get about 480 of management fee back and a bit of the others.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats! I've been public with all my three even though we have always had private health insurance. I've heard great things about Armadale. I had all mine at Osborne Park Hospital and I thought I'd say that I had the same OB for my second and third. Perhaps luck but food for thought as I was going to go private and glad I never as it never cost me anything. I dunno, everyone's experiences are of course different but my public experiences were all amazing. I did have private ultrasounds done though. Congrats again

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had DS at Armadale - the midwives were lovely, the place was nice, I had a single room til I had DS, then went in to a double but fortunately didn't get a roommate til the day I left. Prob the only turn off was that being a public hospital, you get ALL SORTS of patients and visitors there. But they were never a problem really :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my ds @Armadale (public patient) and I have private health insurance but u couldn't get an obstetrician as I was late getting organised...
    Armadale was ok but visiting hours are between 8am and 8pm so ur alone for half the day (I left after one night for this reason!). The midwives were nice enough but didn't really help with breastfeeding and pretty much left me to figure it out...which was hard... It's comfortable enough tho..
    My sil just had her ds at SJOG Murdoch and had a lovely experience. Midwives were mostly great, comfy double bed for herself and her DH, all meals for both... Generally quite good. Visiting hours there are 3.30-8.30 which my sil said was great as they didn't have people coming in thru all day long as try we're sleep deprived etc... I think I'll go there the next time..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Still haven't decided what to do, hubby is thinking public where I am leaning toward private. When do you normally need to make a decision by? We are currently 6 weeks. We are only concerned as it was the first question the dr asked and everyone says book early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Johanna,

I am seeing Dr Chris Nichols at SJOG Murdoch, he is quite cheap as far as private OBs go - $150 first visit, $1000 management fee and $90 every other. He comes highly recommended from a friend, and there is another thread just posted yesterday floating around about Murdoch v attadale private.

You don't need to decide on the specific hospital just yet, but OBs are much harder to get into! I book Dr Nichols at 5.5 weeks and just got in. You won't see them until 9 weeks. Best book in with an OB while you're still deciding, you can always cancel if you go public or whatever.

Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you know if you get anything back from Medicare? That sounds reasonable to me. Hopefully I can convince hubby!!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes he's definately one of the more reasonable priced OBs around (although I choice him for quality, not price!)

Yup you can get some back from medicare! For regular appts it's a little more back than a regular doctors visit, so maybe $40-$50? For the management fee the medicare scheduled fee is only $300&something - but once you've paid that you're almost guaranteed to hit the medicare safety net threshold, and after that you can get up to 80% of your out of pocket back as well (so for the later visits).

He came recommended by a girlfriend and my GP (he was the examiner when my GP did his OBs qual, so he's been doing it a while!).