+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Help! 7.5mo constipated...

I'm pretty sure DD is constipated! She's straining and crying, no poo for days except a couple of dry 'smudges'. On top of this we think she might be teething (no teeth yet so it's new to us) as she has a spotty rash on her face and nappy area and is drooling like crazy. She's also got a snotty nose.

Needless to say, with all that going on she's very unsettled and sleeping badly. We haven't had longer than 20min sleep at a time since about 5am.

What do I do?? I suspect the constipation is bothering her the most so I tried a deep warm bath, bicycle legs, tummy rub, tried offering water but she wouldn't take it.

Help!!! Tomorrow is my first day back at work after maternity leave and I'm shattered already after last night's broken sleep. Tonight is shaping up to be worse!

I just want her to feel better, I hate seeing her so upset

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to hear baby's not feeling too good my boy gets clogged up every now and then and I tried diluted prune juice, massaging, bicycle legs. That all helps - but the one thing that pretty much guarantees a poo the very next day is the Raffertys Garden grandmas choccie custard lol. He looooves it, but always does a huge poo the next morning! Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Brown sugar and warm water worked for me after my DD was in the same position as your bub.
    Can't remember quantities though, but I just googled it originally

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RubySunrise For This Useful Post:

Lennie  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you got one of those mesh things you put food into tha they then chew on? (Target has them for $8) You might like to make up some plain ice or fruit ice cubes for her to chew on. Helps with the constipation and the ice numbs the gums.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd used to pop some prunes into the steamer, blend it and add it to his breakfast. I also give DS kiwi fruit every few days to keep things flowing. Prunes always does the trick though and it's sweet so they love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Poor baby and poor you!

Pureed pears or prune juice might help. They always worked well for my ds, but it didn't make a difference instantly - usually took about 24 hours.

My dd is having the same issues and I've tried warm baths and lots of BFing but cause it's from her starting solids I'm reluctant to try yet another food. But I think it's time for pears tomorrow morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS got like that I was told to get a cotton bid and Vaseline, put some vas in the bud and gently put it up baby's bum hole ( about a cm) twist as you pull it out, I know how it sounds but it works like a dream

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Heinz makes baby pear juice. It's already diluted.
    Worked every time for DS.
    Woolworths sell it in the baby food section.
    Also try some panadol and bonjela to ease the teething discomfort. If she is relaxed it will help too.
    Hope you all get some much needed rest soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd had terrible constipation and I ended up having to take her to ed as she was writhing. A regimen of Weetbix for brekky with 3 chopped prunes in it daily ended up sorting it long term and keeping it away.
    We used infant suppositories and dulcolax syrup to get things moving initially as she was very impacted (showed up on X-ray). Best of luck it's terrible to see them suffering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try a glycerin suppository! Helps them get it out! You can just buy them at the chemist.