+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Smile Low Maintenance Beauty *feel good* Thread

I don't know about you guys, but I find it really challenging to accept my own appearance since having young children. I dress mainly for comfort, don't have the time or energy to exercise much, apply makeup, do my hair, etc. I can't help but feel old and frumpy.

Sure, life gets busy with kids, and other things become more important in the grand scheme of things, but feeling down about how we look is not exactly doing wonders for our general wellness.

Common sense tells me there are many ways we can make small steps to feel better, but I feel a bit deflated at the moment and would love to get inspiration from others in here.

What are some steps/low maintenance beauty secrets that make you feel happier in your own skin? (Product recommendations, "easy" exercise regimes, self help books, etc- anything welcome!)

Love from the daggy wallflower.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

Becks23  (25-03-2012),Bluest Blue Box  (25-03-2012),chameleon  (27-03-2012),lovesushi  (03-04-2012),Purple Lily  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Wearing shoes around the home and dressing in something a bit nicer than trackies.

I know it sounds weird, but I instantly feel nicer if I look nicer... and all it takes is putting on something prettier. At home, I wear house dresses... things housewives of the 50s might have worn. And then a pair of flats. You feel so much nicer when you wear shoes and a nice dress... so long as they're comfy of course!

Also make sure you cleanse, tone and moisturise daily. Nice skin = feeling nicer. Tinted moisturiser is nice to cover up any pigmentation without being overdone. I like the new Garnier one... it smells kinda nice too.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

laurea  (25-03-2012),MissMuppet  (25-03-2012),MuminMind  (25-03-2012)

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    subscribing as I feel the same. I used to wear make up (not alot just the natural look), and style my hair properly every morning, but now I don't have the time (or the inclination!) to do it every morning!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Made in England For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm a bit the same. My easy routine is always using dove soap. I use it as a cleanser on my face with a face washer and it feels so clean and soft afterward. I also apply some good moisturiser and some body butter so I'm all soft and smelling pretty

When I got out I straighten my hair, always use a good quality foundation, a quick light eye liner and some lip gloss.

That's pretty much my routine other than I will paint my nails every now and then.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the new garnier tinted moisturiser too. I got it as a freebie, but I find it's nice and light and gives a good coverage, which is good for me, as I don't like wearing makeup.

Having a shower and getting dress as soon as possible in the morning. Gives me that kick start in the morning, and makes me feel ready to tackle the day.

DDs bedtime routine involves a 30 min walk. It's a great way to fit exercise into my day. It helps me unwind. And has the added bonus of potentially putting DD to sleep.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingToPop For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with Sassy, that wearing a dress is a really easy way to feel 'nicer. I always feel instantly dressed up in one, even if it's just a day time one that I wear around the house, or a maxi dress with a big wooden bead necklace.

I wear makeup usually if I'm going out, and my 'routine' takes about 3 mins (if that). I'm definitely no makeup expert, but it makes me feel better about myself straight away. Basically it goes something like this:

Brush teeth
    Pluck stray eyebrow hairs
    Moisturise (Clinique Superdefense)
    Quick swipe of MAC powder foundation
    Dab of Touche Eclat under each eye
    Blusher
    Eyeshadow
    Press a wedge brush into a darker shade eyeshadow and run along upper lid close to the eye (like eyeliner) - I find it works better and is easier than eyeliner
    Lipgloss

That's it.

Other things that make me feel better - nice perfume, putting on a bracelet, and making sure my toenails are painted. I basically leave the same polish on them for weeks, touching up if needed, and then once every 3 weeks-ish will take off and put a new colour on.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've felt so much better about myself since getting rid of all my pimples.
    I feel good in general as long as I've showered and brushed my teeth and had something to eat/drink.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (25-03-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A pretty dress and some red lippy. Failproof. And stupidly easy.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with FearlessLeader, a swipe of red lippy makes my day suddenly brighter.

I also make sure I'm always wearing earrings and/or a necklace. It's amazing how a long beaded/wooden necklace can change your entire look-same with some dangly earrings.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lock and Lu For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing

20. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (25-03-2012)