+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there,
    I had both my children at St. Vincent's Private (2006 & 2010), and I LOVED it! My obstetrician was David O'Callaghan and he was absolutely fantastic - I can't speak highly enough of him. His rooms are on the Ground Floor at St. Vincent's, so very handy.
    I did a tour of both The Freemasons and St. Vincent's (David delivers at both), and I chose St. Vincent's because I found the staff to be nicer, all the rooms are private and David's rooms are there. I couldn't fault the care and attention that both myself and my babies received. I didn't want to leave! PM me if you'd like more details about David or St. V's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you want a natural vaginal birth and are not keen on home birth, I'd recommend a midwifery model of care through a public hospital. It depends where you live as to where you can birth, but the know-your-midwife programs and birth centres are great. Private hospitals and Obs have higher rates of all kinds of interventions (inc c/s) so I encourage you to do your research, ask lots if questions, get their c/s rate, their policies re induction etc before you make a decision

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your help. I do want to go as natural as possible as long as it is safe for me and my baby, however I would prefer to be under the care of an obstetrician as it is my first pregnancy and feel more comfortable if something was to go wrong. I have heard it depends on which obstetrician I choose regarding the interventions. I have David O'Callahan on my list, as well as Lionel Steinberg (he is all for natural births apparently). I will be asking a lot of questions and the obstetrician I choose will have to be on the same page as me before I make any decisions. Thanks Siansmum, I am heading towards St V's as I have heard that the staff are better, how is the accommodation in comparison to Freemasons, do you know? Does David O'Callahan promote natural births?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can also recommend David (and Megan Di Quinzio that also works in his practice). I am currently 30 weeks with my first (and booked into St Vincents) but the care I am getting from them has been amazing, they are both lovely and very approachable even with the silliest of questions from a first timer, and they both promote natural births as much as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps thinkingaboutit... I have booked my first appointment with Dr. David O'Callaghan at 10 weeks (April 30th). I have heard he is really good and promotes natural births. The girl who answered the phone was very nice and helpful and his prices seem more reasonable than others I have called too. So excited now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You won't regret going with David. He's just fantastic. Lionel Steinberg is also very good, but very pricey! He snipped my daughter's tongue tie and circumcised our son and I was very happy with him for both these procedures. David is wonderful though!
    The rooms at St. Vincent's are really comfortable. I had a double bed both times and was extremely happy. To be honest, the rooms at Freemasons are a bit fancier, but the care I received at St. V's was faultless and in my opinion, that's the main thing. Hope you like David and Megan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Siansmum I think I am going to go with St V's too. I have heard nothing but fantastic things about the care they give to patients and you're right, that is the main thing. Thanks for the feedback on David, can't wait to meet him.