+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked
    311
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Thinking of moving DS1 into his own room but..

    DS1 has just turned four. Up until he was a little over 3 he coslept. Since then he has been in his own bed in my room - climbing into the big bed for cuddles when he needs them and waking me when he has a bad dream, needs reassurance etc. He sleeps through more often than not.

    I love having my boys nearby (DS2 - 4.5 months- is in there too... He cosleeps), and they're reassured by it too, but lately they're waking each other ridiculously early (often before 5am). Sometimes DS1 will go climb into bed with DH (who sleeps in the other room as he and i are wildly incompatible sleepers ) if DS2 is still asleep.

    Though he sleeps through most of DS2s noises I'm beginning to feel that he'd get a better nights sleep if he was in his own room. The thing that's making me hesitate is that his room is waaaaayyyyy down the other end of the house.

    I'm already missing out on putting him to bed as DS2 always seems to need a bf and nap at the exact same time, and both he and I are missing some of the special things we used to do together which are harder with a young bub. I feel like moving him into his own room would be like pushing him further away

    ...but I also genuinely think it would help him sleep better.

    Anyone else felt like this? How did you handle it?

  2. #2
    BabushkaMumma's Avatar
    BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,330
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked
    355
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't gotten to the other end but I'm going through it so just wanted to say I share some of your sentiments.

    Especially about spending that precious time at the end of the night with the toddler. I still feed my toddler to sleep and I do get that time, but it is rushed and I am concerned that baby will wake up and then I have to juggle the two which also happens.

    We will be moving her into her room for the start of the night after the Easter break when we are back from camping.

    In the meantime, she's getting a new lamp and I'll get her to choose a new blanket so there is a heap of hype surrounding the move. Her room is at the other end of our house too. So I'm going to give her a torch too she can turn on and use to walk to our room.

    I fully expect her to still come in, but I suppose for us, it's just a start of the long process of moving the girls out of our room and into a sibling bed..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked
    311
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for your reply. Its hard isn't it?

    I'm so lucky that DH is adoring putting him to bed now (I always did it before) and DS1 is loving his daddy time but it was such a lovely relaxing time of the day.

    Does your little one know they're going into their own room? How do they feel about it?

    I've brought up the idea with DS1 and he varies between "not until I'm 20" and liking it...

  4. #4
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What about moving him into DHs room?

    We had a very similar set up to you only dif was is that I have a 4.5 yr old and a 3.5 year old and the baby! I'm transitioning the boys into their own room by rooming in with them (I sleep with bubon a mattress on the floor and they sleep in there own beds. DS1 got it pretty quick and DS2 has done a whole week without coming into my bed, I've had to give him a drink or adjust his blanket once or twice a night. My issue now is as hubby works away I'm hesitant to move myself back to my own room I'm not sure if I can sleep away from them! But in the past when he was home I had no issues knowing they were rooming in with DF.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked
    311
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    What about moving him into DHs room?

    We had a very similar set up to you only dif was is that I have a 4.5 yr old and a 3.5 year old and the baby! I'm transitioning the boys into their own room by rooming in with them (I sleep with bubon a mattress on the floor and they sleep in there own beds. DS1 got it pretty quick and DS2 has done a whole week without coming into my bed, I've had to give him a drink or adjust his blanket once or twice a night. My issue now is as hubby works away I'm hesitant to move myself back to my own room I'm not sure if I can sleep away from them! But in the past when he was home I had no issues knowing they were rooming in with DF.
    That's a good idea. The room DH sleeps in isn't far from the room DS1 would be in actually... I could just make sure the doors are kept open so DS1 could jump into bed with him if he needs anything. DH would be more than happy to have him there.

    And if DH is away for work etc I could set up a mattress in my room if need be.

    I'd just miss him so darn much! Damn this growing up business

  6. #6
    BabushkaMumma's Avatar
    BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,330
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked
    355
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CluckySC View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Its hard isn't it?

    I'm so lucky that DH is adoring putting him to bed now (I always did it before) and DS1 is loving his daddy time but it was such a lovely relaxing time of the day.

    Does your little one know they're going into their own room? How do they feel about it?

    I've brought up the idea with DS1 and he varies between "not until I'm 20" and liking it...
    It is hard. Especially when you put a lot of effort into nighttime parenting!

    Yes, she knows it's coming, we talk about it a bit, I tell her that her special lamp is so that she doesn't feel scared at night, and we talk about her going to sleep in her bed with her sister.

    She's excited but when it comes to the crunch, I'm sure she'll not like it either..!

  7. #7
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CluckySC View Post
    That's a good idea. The room DH sleeps in isn't far from the room DS1 would be in actually... I could just make sure the doors are kept open so DS1 could jump into bed with him if he needs anything. DH would be more than happy to have him there.

    And if DH is away for work etc I could set up a mattress in my room if need be.

    I'd just miss him so darn much! Damn this growing up business
    I know, for me it is! The kids seem to have it down pat

  8. #8
    Witwicky's Avatar
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,630
    Thanks
    4,446
    Thanked
    3,495
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We had a similar problem as well (DS2 wakes frequently and was constantly waking DS1 up, causing him to be really cranky throughout the day from lack of sleep). We set up a bed in his room next door and we basically just leave both doors open and he chooses where he wants to sleep. If he wants to be close to me, he just comes in. Sometimes he will go to sleep with me but get up in the middle of the night to move rooms if his brother is too noisy lol. Sometimes he wants to go to sleep in his bed, but will come in during the night. He comes in and out as he pleases A lot of the time DH sleeps in his room with him as well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked
    311
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    We had a similar problem as well (DS2 wakes frequently and was constantly waking DS1 up, causing him to be really cranky throughout the day from lack of sleep). We set up a bed in his room next door and we basically just leave both doors open and he chooses where he wants to sleep. If he wants to be close to me, he just comes in. Sometimes he will go to sleep with me but get up in the middle of the night to move rooms if his brother is too noisy lol. Sometimes he wants to go to sleep in his bed, but will come in during the night. He comes in and out as he pleases A lot of the time DH sleeps in his room with him as well.
    That sounds like a lovely setup

    I was thinking of popping an air mattress on the floor in my room (where his bed is now - I'd make it comfy with sheets and doona) and moving his bed into his room. Then he has the option of his room, in with daddy or in with me. I'd be happy for him to just climb into bed but he specializes in sleep karate at the moment have also found a groovy nightlight for him


 

Similar Threads

  1. moving from bassinet in our room into a cot in her room
    By strawberry swing in forum Babies (3 - 6 months)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 22:39
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 13-08-2012, 10:48
  3. Thinking of moving to QLD Advice please!
    By parentingrocks in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-07-2012, 11:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
WaterWipes
Give your babies bottom a gift this Xmas! They are the only wipe made using just water and a drop of grapefruit seed extract and may help avoid nappy rash. Check out the great reviews on bubhub and see our website for more info and availability.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Tribalance
TriBalance is a physio, yoga & pilates studio in Brisbane's inner north, offering specialised women's health physiotherapy services. Weekly pregnancy yoga classes are scheduled at the studio on Thursdays 1- 2pm and Saturdays 1-2:15pm.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!