+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default NEED ADVICE DESPERATELY!!! 22months old & Eating Habits!!!

Hi!

I need some help with our 22 month old son's eating habits, or lack of....my problem is he wont eat anything unless it is mushy/pureed!!! He has had a MASSIVE problem with his tonsils and adnoids and I mean they were MASSIVE and crowding his throat. Everything he ate made him choke and would get stuck in his throat. He had them out 2 months ago and i thought his eating habits would improve....errr.....not so!!! The problem was that he could only eat pureed or mashed food before as he couldnt swallow anything bigger - (no sandwiches, toast, nuggets, chips, biscuits or anything!!!) as his he would constantly vomit - the food would cause him to choke around his huge tonsils and then this would lead to another bout of tonsilitis as the germs left in his throat would make him sick again. It was such a drama and the poor little man has had it from 6months old until he had them out 20mths. (He was sick the entire time from 6months - 20months except for a 6 week period!!)

The only thing he will eat is cheesesticks that is hand held. I sit in front of him and eat sandwiches etc but he cries and gags and carries on. I tried again today to give him vegemite sandwich and he gagged on this and cried and wouldnt eat it.

Basically he is a very healthy little eater, he eats weetbix and fruit (warmed up) for breakfast; cheese, mashed banana and yoghurt for lunch and mashed vegies with little bits of chopped chicken/meat for dinner or lasagne mashed up or soup etc.

I'm due to have no 3 in July and Im wondering how my mum will cope with him!

Please offer any ideas (...or any miracle cures!!) to help me get him to eat sandwiches, toast, biscuits etc.

Thank you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump...anyone??...I'm going mad today!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Will be back to reply or pm you. Just gotta get my little one down.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussiemummy For This Useful Post:

Nat1341  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ow the poor little fella!

I would probably see a health professional about how best to tackly this.

The only thing I could suggest is gradually making his food more 'chunky' bit by bit until he slowly gets used to it - he clearly hasn't been able to eat any other way and may be frightened due to the choking down of food he suffered previously.

Hopefully soimeone can give you better advice - good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd say give it time. My DS had a very sensitive gag reflex and would choke, gag and vomit nearly every meal if he got a lump or tried to eat finger food. I was advised my our health nurse to take it slow and not be concerned about the solidness of the food as long as they ate getting all the nutrition they need. I just slowly built the lumps up and kept putting sandwiches, pieces of chicken, fish etc in front of him. He's now 32 months and eats fine (most of the time) without gagging. If you are really concerned about him not eating lumpy food perhaps get a referral to see a pediatrician to ease your mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you're right. I have to take DS4 yrs to the health nurse for his 4yr jabs this week, think i might take mr 22mths too.

That is his problem, he is frightened of choking and vomiting again, he used to do this all the time (as in more than once a day) before he had his op. Hopefully i will get some answers there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks kpet, i might take him to my gp this week. He also has a sensitive gag reflex (was born with ir) he also had a really bad tongue tie and it cut at 15 months. This caused a few problems too. My mum thinks i stress too much over it, and that.i should be grateful he wont eat biscuits or chips /nuggets etc. But it makes things difficult when we're out and eventually he will have to learn to eat better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Id treat him like hes starting soilds againa nd start the process over. As hes had all these issues, he hasnt learnt to eat. Id be gradually increasing the 'lumps' in his food and go from there.
    Good luck