+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default I need advice on trying breastfeeding again

I came home from hospital yesterday but is 4 days old I can home with the plan of expressing the little colostrum I had and topping up with formula bottle (due to nipple damage I got trying to feed in hospital)
    but my milk supply is never going to let down and the longer I take to get her off the bottle the harder it will be to get get breastfeeding
    so my question is do I just put her on the boob and see how if goes or should I get help??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would do both
    I'd attach her when she is next hungry, good attachment really is key, I think the most important thing to remember is not to aim the nipple into the middle is baby's mouth, damn that hurts, it just needs to slip in at the top, the baby pulls it into position
    And I'd also call your hospital and ask to see a lactation consultant

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not an expert so am just offering my opinion in the hopes that it will help in some way :-)

Have you tried holding bub in a different position? I had sore nipples about 3 days after having DS and the only way I could continue feeding was to hold him under my arm in the football hold. (or google other holds?) Just the change of angle made a huge difference in how he attached and I used it whenever I got any soreness to give my nipples a rest.

I had to express for my Dd1 (who was prem) for 7 weeks and I hated it and ended up switching to formula 4 days after coming home from hospital. With dd2 and DS I did everything I could to avoid it. I preferred to try feeding by myself and using different holds and positions until I felt comfortable and I ended up feeding both for 9 months.
    The only real rule that you must remember is that if it's hurting you can try a different position or to reattach because it means bub is not on properly.

If you feel that you need extra advice you can call the Australian breastfeeding association or even the maternal health line (if you're in Vic).
    If you feel like bub isn't getting enough to eat or you are struggling then the odd formula top up will do but it will be better for your milk supply to have as much breast contact with nib as possible.

I hope I've been of some help and not just confused you more, it does get easier I promise :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had very grazed nipples when I got home too. For me, making sure attachment was spot on was the key even if had to keep taking DS off to try again.
    Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a breasts reding question too..
    Its never once crossed my mind to use formula (that may change when bub is here) but iv had a nipple piercing, iv taken it out but im scared the scar tissue will block the milk... Do any of you know??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also had nipple damage in hospital. I stayed in for 6 days as DS had jaundice. The lactation consultant came to see me and this is the plan we came up with. I expressed for 48 hours using the hospital pump to let my nipples heal. My baby got topped up with formula, usually about 20 - 30 mls. (I expressed about 10 -15 mls each time.)

After the 48 hours I used nipple shields. It still was a little bit painful initially but its fine now. Apparently nipple shields can limit supply but I haven't had this problem. I now use the nipple shield on the left side only and even then only sometimes. I also take fenugreek herbal tablets. They apparently can help to boost supply. I would definately call a lactation consultant or the Australian Breastfeeding Association helpline as mentioned above. The helpline is 24 hours and I found them a great support. Their website is also great for information and they have videos to help with latching on.

Congrats on your new baby and good luck

Sorry MissTashyAlice I am not sure about piercings affecting breastfeeding. Try the Australian Breastfeeding Association website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks beatnik. I'll give that a shot