+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Epping and surrounds

Hi ladies
    We are moving from Canberra to Melbourne in the next few weeks. DH has a job in Epping that he is starting straight after Easter and our house is sold and settles on the 20th April so we need to be out by then. We are currently house hunting which is not easy when we are still living in Canberra. We have looked at a few houses and will probably have to journey back down again next weekend as real estates arnt keen on applications when you haven't viewed the house , even though in some cases the pictures are enough for me. We are hoping to live in Epping as it will be close to DH work and also seems like a good suburb, lots of shops and parks. I would love to get others opinions on surrounding suburbs. We have looked at Mernda as its really cheap but have heard that traveling on plenty road is a pain in ***. We did look at further out suburbs as DH said he would commute more if we could get more bang for our buck in a good suburb further out. We looked at Melton Aldo as I liked the idea of the smalle town feel but have heard mixed reviews on living their. Didn't look like there was they many shops etc for the amount of people living their but perhaps we didn't explore enough. Would love to hear others views on anywhere else we should look, preferably within a 30-45 min drive to epping.
    Looking for somewhere that is close to shops , supermarket , has good parks and things for me and DD (nearly 3 years) to do ( I.e good parks, library etc) .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Im a couple of suburbs across from Epping. Im not the biggest fan of it to be honest! The newer part isnt so bad, but I dont know much about that area. The older part has its issues but so does every suburb Its more the people than the facilities...I will not go near Epping station on foot! Its a very stereotypical 'bogan' area in some parts. Lots of hoons on the road too.. There are skid marks everywhere!

You have plenty of stuff for kids in Thomastown for kids though..that borders Epping and is easy to access. Public transport on that side is fantastic!
    You are right about Mernda...Avoid Plenty Rd at ALL costs. Its a nightmare and there is always an accident there! People get stupid on that road! A few weeks ago a guy flipped his car right behind us!
    we live further down Plenty, past the Mernda/Sth Morang bottle neck, but DS plays basketball up there so we use it often!

Close to Epping you also have Lalor, Thomastown, Mill Park, Sth Morang and Bundoora which are easy to get to and take less than 10 mins to get to.

Melton is good for $$$ value but thats about it...dont want to trash the suburb but you wouldnt find me there in a million years!

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in Doreen near mernda and if I were you I'd look into the estates in "epping north" and down bridge inn rd plenty rd stops in peak hour but high st/epping rd is usually fine. They are doubling plenty rd ATM do hopefully it won't be so bad in 12 months or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats the one.. Bridge Inn Rd! The estate up there looks lovely, but I don't know if theres a library, pool etc in there?
    Ally .. DH wants to buy in Doreen..he keeps looking, but I keep saying no because DS goes to school in Watsonia and DD will follow next year, now that they are in HS and can catch the bus I want to use it to my advantage

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there I'm currently in Mill Park soon to be moving to south morang. If you don't mind the commute there are nice houses in beverage and wallan. I'm originally from wallan and used to work in epping and it used to take me 25 mins to get to work. All Hwy driving so you do bout 110ks most of the way. Small town pretty friendly. Hidden valley is the nice part but estates are going up all over the place with really nice houses. Good luck with your search

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilbub4us For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-03-2012)

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
    Thats the one.. Bridge Inn Rd! The estate up there looks lovely, but I don't know if theres a library, pool etc in there?
    Ally .. DH wants to buy in Doreen..he keeps looking, but I keep saying no because DS goes to school in Watsonia and DD will follow next year, now that they are in HS and can catch the bus I want to use it to my advantage
    My mum is in south morang and my buba sister was at st Mary's in Greensborough and even at 7:30 in the morning it was taking an hour to get her to school however from doreen you go down yan yean rd to diamond creek rd/greensy bypass even at peak hour g'borough/watsonia is like 20 mins

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replies. Always helpful to have knowledge from the locals. The area I really like in Epping is the newer estate of Aurora/lyndarum . We like south morang but there just doesn't seem to be as much available in rentals in what we are looking for. We would prefer a newer type house.
    I had heard plenty road was bad but we weren't sure just what exactly ' bad' meant as we are not familiar with Melbourne traffic conditions. but I have seen lots of rentals available in mernda that say things like ' first 3 months at cheaper rate ' or ' first two weeks rent free' which kinda made me wonder why they were having trouble getting tenants for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in Mernda and love it. It's cheaper as there are so many new estates though I've seen heaps in Doreen that's even cheaper. AverGe rent is around $360pw for a brand new 4 bdrm, ensuite, wir, dbl grg. Heaps of parks and lots of nice parks, there's a mchn, schools, getting a Safeway soon. Plenty rd can be a pain but really it's not that bad. To go to Epping you'd go down bridge inn rd anyway. I've lived in the area for the last 10 yrs. Have been in mill park, south morang, Epping and then Mernda. And Mernda has been the best by far. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Real estate agent rang today to confirm our interest in a townhouse in north Epping.We assured her we were still interested and looking to move ASAP as we have already sold our house and she said great and that she will have an answer for us tomorrow. So hope we get it. And I hope she calls early in the day so I don't spend my whole day waiting and hoping

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops double post
    Last edited by jez; 26-03-2012 at 23:38.