+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default older and being pregnant

This is sort of a spin off I suppose, something that BigRedV said about being older and the complications of baby having problems. In the US they drill into you not to have kids over 35 because of the increased risk of such things like downs syndrome and other things, but I see many women on here having children over that with no issues, what is the general thoughts on this here in Australia? I never have looked into it too much and now that we are wanting 1 more possibly 2 I am wondering these things.
    Thanks for any input

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have a look at this http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc..._pregnancy.pdf

Not really an issue for me so I haven't really thought about it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (24-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally, I'd check out the medical journals to find the proven risk percentages and decide from there. For me, I wouldn't be comfortable going on anecdotal evidence.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berrie For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (24-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It's just biology. Your maternal age (if older) puts your risk of down syndrome and other "problems" at a higher level than if you were younger.

That doesn't mean that if you're young you're guaranteed a "normal" baby, nor does it mean if you're older, you will certainly have a down syndrome baby.

Your eggs deteriorate after a certain age, so the risk is increased.

I don't mean any offense, like I said in the other thread, I'll be 36 if I decide to have another baby, which already puts the baby in a higher risk category.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (24-03-2012),Lovemyfam  (24-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's just biology. Your maternal age (if older) puts your risk of down syndrome and other "problems" at a higher level than if you were younger.

That doesn't mean that if you're young you're guaranteed a "normal" baby, nor does it mean if you're older, you will certainly have a down syndrome baby.

Your eggs deteriorate after a certain age, so the risk is increased.

I don't mean any offense, like I said in the other thread, I'll be 36 if I decide to have another baby, which already puts the baby in a higher risk category.
    no offense taken

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm planning on having my 3rd at 37 so I'll definitely be looking at the risks in more detail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not just the risks I considered, having just had my first at 35. I couldn't help but think the whole way through that the pregnancy would've been "easier" if I was younger. I found it very hard and painful. Obviously all worth it but it definitely influenced my decision not to go again

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 40 (was 39 when I had my daughter) and I had a textbook pregnancy, with low risk nuchal results. The only issue I had was my daughter ended up with IUGR due to a failing placenta and I had to be induced at 39+5, but she's also perfectly healthy and a bright, happy little thing. She was born 2.5kg but at her 12 month checkup she weighed 9.5kg, so she definitely caught up. The placenta issue could have been due to my age but then again it might not. I'm going for a second baby sometime this year so I'll be 42ish when that one's born. Am I worried? Not really - but you never know what might happen in life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the general attitude over here is that we are aware that it is more of a risk over 35 but the potential benefits outweigh the risk up to a certain age (and that age changes for each person).

There's a doctor here in Perth who notoriously called older mums selfish, which sparked a lot of controversy, but I don't think he is representative of the community, just perhaps a bit jaded. I think also he was talking 45+ and the age you would be when your child is a teenager, young adult etc

I am 33 having my first baby and I want three. So I will probably be around 38 by my third. I will look into it more though before making that final decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by angewah View Post
    It's not just the risks I considered, having just had my first at 35. I couldn't help but think the whole way through that the pregnancy would've been "easier" if I was younger. I found it very hard and painful. Obviously all worth it but it definitely influenced my decision not to go again
    I had my first at 23, it was a piece of cake compared to my second at 36 - the pregnancy and labour was a whole lot more difficult and painful.