+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default my baby is so sleepy!!

I had my bub 3 days ago and due to damage on my nipples from poor attachment I have been hand expressing colostrum and top up feeding formula. They let me come home today doing the same thing ANYWAY all bub has done today is sleep!! I am finding it almost impossible to get her to wake for a feed she is only drinking half the bottle and then going back to sleep.
    is it normal for a 3 day old baby to sleep ALL day?? I thought the hibernation sleep was only on day 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep it seems pretty normal.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wet nappies and no jaundice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Wet nappies and no jaundice?
    at first they thought she might be a little yellow but then today they looked her over before we came home and didn't think she looked yellow enough to test
    but I did notice her last nappy was dry?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Newborns do sleep a lot. I remember thinking the same thing when I came home from hospital too!

Jaundice definitely makes them sleepier. Even if it's only mild, and not enough to need treatment. Do you think that could be a factor?

I'd say that if you're concerned, it may be worth speaking to a midwife, or a child health nurse. There are a lot of free clinics around, and they should be listed in the pack of documents the hospital gives you to take home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would only worry about the dry nappy, not sleepiness, you should try feed 4hrly. My 4 week old still sleeps all day, she was a bit jaundice and early, but nappies are wet and weight gain good so I am just enjoying the time out.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    what can a dry nappy indicate??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndtimemumma View Post
    what can a dry nappy indicate??
    Dehydration.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I would only worry about the dry nappy, not sleepiness, you should try feed 4hrly. My 4 week old still sleeps all day, she was a bit jaundice and early, but nappies are wet and weight gain good so I am just enjoying the time out.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    Newborn babies should feed more often then that (mine always have!).

Not enough wet nappies could be lots of things but the rule of thumbs day 1- 1 wet nappy, day 2- 2 wet nappies, day 3- 3 wet nappies up until the first week. You might find this link helpful http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Guest Guest
    It's normal, but agree, you should be waking to feed and express in between to get your supply going (if you need your supply). I never let her sleep past 4 hours without a feed, I didn't like waking her cause I thought she needed the sleep, but she started waking herself soon enough