+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *spin off* What age do/did you allow your child to have junk or party food?

I let my dd have a tiny bit of vanilla cake on her 1st birthday, but only a small piece small enough to fit in her hand. She squashed it then rubbed it through her hair and shoved what was on her fingers into her mouth. It was the only junk food she was allowed, but I also had fruit on offer so she had that mostly. Her party was not at a meal time, she still had her regular meals at home.

Just reading the other thread about an 11 month old got me thinking. The only reason mine even got cake at all is because it was her own birthday. Anyone else's birthday she would have been distracted with play or boob at cake time at 1.

Do you think junk food in moderation applies to infants, or only older toddlers/kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My pair are 3 next month and only have junk in moderation.
    I think their first birthday was the first time they had any and like you it was a small piece of cake.
    The girls actually prefer healthy foods. Probably once or twice a week they'll have a mini pizza or some nuggets and chips. They also like snacking on LCM bars.
    Other than that their usual diet consists of tinned spaghetti, weetbix, peanut butter sandwiches, yoghurt, and whatever it is we have for dinner which usually is some sort of meat and veg, stir fry and roasts. They have LF icecream for dessert too.
    Last edited by brooke88(mum2b09); 24-03-2012 at 15:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I only feed my DD junk food I would eat myself, so that rules out the party pies and nuggets in the other thread lol. She might have had a few chips before turning one, I can't really remember. I completely understand mums who prefer to avoid it (within reason).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I don't have a issue with my kids have junk food in small amounts once they are eating solids properly. That was at different ages for each child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DD had some of her own birthday cake at her birthday party (just vanilla sponge with some vanilla icing), and most of it went on her face... but I don't think she had any other junk until she was 18 months old when we visited her much older cousins... who were eating all sorts of rubbish over Christmas and DD of course followed them around and did everything they did.

When we got home, I continued on as usual... "snacks," for her were things like cucumbers in hommus, rice cakes with cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes, saltanas etc... nothing crazy and OTT junky.

If we go to parties now, she's allowed to eat whatever she wants. She's pretty good at self-regulating though, and won't just binge on junk... sometimes she'll have a few bits of sandwich quarters, and maybe a few lollies. She doesn't focus on junk-only, so I'm quite okay to let her pick whatever she wants. We have no allergies or beliefs stopping us from eating a certain way either, so that makes things easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD had a small piece of birthday cake on her 1st birthday, but that was the first junk food she had.

Somewhere between then and now (21mths) I've relaxed a bit. She can now have a few chips if there are some there (never bought just for her), and she's even had a Mcnugget or two!

I make sure most of her diet is healthy, and the junk food is the exception not the norm. She seems to prefer healthy food, which is great - we'll see if that lasts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't remember.
    I think everything in moderation is key, either way. Some things like caffeine drinks (coke, coffee, tea) my children won't have until they are teenagers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Mine didn't have junk food until maybe 18months/2 years?? it was a while ago so I can't remember exactly.

But once they reached that age we firmly stick to moderation. A hot chip or one chicken nugget every now and then isn't going to hurt them. It's when it's all the time there are issues. I serve a mixture at my kids parties. There's cocktail franks, party pies, chips, lollies but also a fruit and sandwich platter, homemade quiche etc. The funny thing is, that whenever my kids go to parties they aren't even really interested in the junk. They'll have a triangle sandwich, a party pie then go and play. I've found it's usually the kids with really strict diets (I don't mean medically necessary ones) that don't leave the table and just fill up on the junk.

I think kids as they grow, need to learn their own moderation. When a nugget isn't especially amazing.. well it isn't amazing so they don't bother. JMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think dd was 2 or maybe slightly younger before she had junk food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS also had cake ( white choc mud!) for the first time at his 1st birthday , he is 17 months now and has not had junk food/fast food at all yet, as we don't eat it or have it in the house ,
    we give him a few spoonfuls of dessert whenever we eat it ( maybe once a week at home or when we go out)
    I have no problem later on with him eating party food or god forbid McDonald's but for now while I do have control he won't be! ( I am assuming maybe 3 ish plus - my niece had McDonald's for the first time at 4 and thought it was revolting!)