+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dd is getting her tonsils and Adnoids removed

I'm abit nervous about dd getting this operation done she has never had one I've had my tonsils out at 14 so I remember how painful it was

Has your child had this done and how did you/they cope with helping the recovery time. What did you do and say to prepare them for it without scaring the beejeezes out of them? And when is the right time to start preparing her? Her op is end of July this year.

I'm staying in hospital with her. And I was thinking of letting her get some special pjs and have a ballon bouquet and special teddy for when she wakes up. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Jensha; 24-03-2012 at 12:09.

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My Ds had this done when he was 4.

I prepared him by saying something like, to make it so he can breathe better and not have so many nose bless the doctors r going to give him medicine and take the bad things away. The medicine makes u sleepy and u don't feel it. When u go to sleep mummy will be right there, and when u wake up mummy will still be there. And then we get to go into a cool room with a tv and u get to eat ice cream and jelly.

I was with ds until he was asleep, and the doctors were awesome, the machine that the gas comes from was shaped like a rocket, and the nurse climbed up onto the bed and laid him on her lap while he had the gas, and didn't move until he was asleep.

Doctors had told me he wouldn't talk when he woke up, well he did. First thing he said was, "Mum, I don't want I've cream, can I please have a sandwich" and they gave him sandwiches (he ate three)

The nurses r so good with the kids.
    We had no problem with any of it.
    He got some "pain stop" medicine to help with the pain after we left hospital.

Ds wasn't sick or anything, didn't need the pain medication for anywhere near the amount of time they said he would.

Some little ones in the ward were throwing up after surgery, it's common but every child is different.

If you remain calm and composed so will your little one, I cried once he was asleep, but I think remaining calm is the key.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Didn't want to read and run. I unfortunately don't have any advice. My DD had hers out recently, but she was 18 months. So a little different.

Just know she will be ok. Even though there will be tears etc during recovery.

Hugs for you too. It's a very hard thing to see your baby have anything done like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My niece had hers out last year she was 4... Her mum took her to get special pjs and slippers for hospital. She also got her a fairy necklace as an incentive for being a big brave girl. There was also a book with pictures and stuff that explained what happens in hospitals which my niece ran loved...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD just had hers removed in February, she is 2. I told her we were going to the hospital and they were going to remove her Tonsils and Adenoids so she could sleep better. I don't think she really understood. I went into the operating room and she sat on my lap while they gave her the gas. Only took about a minute and she was out. The doctors, nurses and anethetist (sp?) were fantastic. When she woke up in recovery she was upset but that was because I wasn't there. The nurses came and got me straight away and she settled down. She has always been a bad eater and within hours of the operation she ate 3 sandwiches, 2 ice blocks and a bread roll. I was shocked. They say to allow 2 weeks for recovery but she was fine within 7 days. She was a little whiney but that's expected after what she had been through. We stayed overnight in hospital. For her it has been great. She no longer has OSA, doesn't snore (she used to snore like a trooper) so is sleeping much better and through the night which in turn makes her alot happy throughout the day and much more enjoyable. Her speech has improved sooooo much. I'm so glad we had it done.

Good luck. I'm sure your DD will do great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds 1 had his tonsils and adenoids out when he was 5. We didnt want to scare him with how much it hurts and that so we just told him he will get put to sleep then wake up and he won't have his tonsils anymore. Just make sure you keep up with the pain medicine plan they give you so they don't ever wear off and day 3 is usually the worse poor thing it was torture watching him go through the pain but so worth it now he has no ongoing problems.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Subscribing.

We are going through this process now. DS (7yrs) will definitely need his tonsils out and we find out on Friday if he adenoids need taking out too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. SLIPPERS yes awesome she can get those too :-)

This will be so good for her, she snores badly, always tired, fussy eater, always has a runny nose and always getting sick.

I hope she recovers faster then expected. It took probably 10days for
    My throat to feel only ok but then I was 14.