+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Just found out I'm pregnant - off to Bali in 5 days eek!

Hi, I just found out yesterday that I'm about 4 weeks pregnant with bub #2 & my hubbie & I are going to Bali next week. I'm totally unprepared & my head's in a bit of a spin (but a good spin!). Haven't had a chance to read up on much stuff yet, and have forgotten alot from my first pregnancy, but are there any special precautions I need to take in Bali? What about massages, facials & nails? Is it safe? Also I'm booked in for a spray tan next week too - is that safe?? Sorry for the ramble!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in an almost identical predicament! Found out four days ago that I'm 3 weeks pregnant and we are off to GC on Monday. Was looking forward to superman roller coaster but I might have to skip that one lol
    i guess i'd just say be extra careful with food, make sure it's extra extra fresh and well cooked, not sure about food standards in Bali. Oh and stay away from the full moon parties....lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You'll be fine

DF and I booked a trip to Bali and then found out I was pregnant. We went when I was 21 - 23 weeks and I had a great time. My advice is:

1) Don't drink the water, and make sure any food is thoroughly cooked or able to be peeled (but this applies for everyone!). So that means no salad.

2) Massages are fine, just ask them to use plain oils. I had heaps of massages while I was there with no problems. By that stage I couldn't lie on my stomach, so laid on my side but you should still be ok on your belly.

3) Keep hydrated! It's amazing how fast you dehydrate without realising it when in humid weather.

I also got facials and my nails done, but again just asked them to use plain creams (no essential oils etc).

As far as I know spray tans are safe - perhaps someone else can give you more advice? In any case I am getting one in a couple of weeks time for a wedding I am in. I doubt it'd be an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lucky girl!! I would avoid the spray tans abs massages in the first trimester. Don't drink the water, eat roadside food or any fruit you didn't peel yourself and you'll be fine. Any hot food should be duper hot (temp wise) to destroy any bacteria. Have fun!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was in Bali from before conception to 4 months, it was fantastic!
    Lots of healthy fruit & juices, and organic foods, warm weather and swimming will do wonders for your developing bubba.
    If you are eating at established restaurants, which most now are, not side carts or dodgy looking little places, you will be fine. These places make their trade on westerners and so their hygiene and use of good water is important. I had no trouble. If anything seems a bit off to you or doesn't look quite right just leave it, it's cheap enough to get something else! They really respect pregnancy over there so if any concerns just mention that you are pregnant. Obviously avoid most seafood.
    They have a yogurt brand "yummy" try having some of this each day to balance tummy bacterias.
    massage in early pregnancy is a risk, apparantly there are points in your lower back and legs that can be a problem, the usual advice is any massage sitting up is ok, but it's a personal choice.
    I would avoid the spray tan.
    Enjoy, if you want any other Bali tips yell out!
    We lived there fOr most of last year and LOVED it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Spray tans are fine, but be careful of the fumes in nail places.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to Bali when I was 5 weeks pregnant as well and had no problems, it was very relaxing! I didn't drink tap water and drank nothing with ice in it but food standards have greatly improved there and it's pretty safe. I also only ate cooked food, no salads just to be really safe. I also had massages but I did mention that I was pregnant. I didn't have any massage on my feet because of acupressure points or something, I can't quite remember. I'll have to learn it all again next pregnancy too! Obviously take all normal food precautions. I have an app on my phone that is a handy reference. Congratulations and have a great holiday! I highly recommend a trip to Ubud for the suckling pig

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I was in ur predicament.... ahhhh in my dreams.. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You will be fine my sister was in Bali when she was 4-5 weeks pregnant she didn't know though so indulged a bit while she was over there she now has a very healthy 3 week old baby. Have a great time im very jealous

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies, much appreciated. I went to see my GP today (and I know they probably all have their own views) but she said the spray tan and nails would be fine but to avoid massages. Getting very excited now! Bit sad I won't be able to partake in all those cocktails though - oh well it will be so nice & relaxing anyway