+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby fighting bottle

I have a pair of 3 month old twin girls born pretty much at term. One of them has started fighting her bottle bigtime, this started 3 weeks. At first I thought it was just a phase but it seems to be escalating. She starts squirming just when we lay a hankie or bib under her chin and then starts kicking/crying/growing red in the face/arching her back as soon as we approach her mouth with the teat. She could go through with 5 to 10 minutes of this before she starts to suck, once she starts though, she usually takes most of her feed. Burps fine and is growing well. She doesn't vomit. The rest of the time she's pretty happy.

I've tried using different teats and formulas without much difference. She does this even though she is clearly hungry. The only time she puts up less resistance is when she's sleepy ie in the middle of the night. I'm beginning to dread feeding her. They get fed at 4-hourly intervals.

Brought her to the GP and we couldn't find anything wrong. She's growing well and her mouth is fine. Going to see the paediatrician on Monday.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Could it possibly be reflux? Or even silent reflux? My DS was exactly the same n we put up with it for weeks because we had no idea there could have been something medically wrong with him, we just thought he was fussy

We took him to a paed and he diagnosed him with reflux n put him on ar formula and meds. Thankfully he doesnt have that issue anymore because its just so awful to see them feeding that way Im sorry that I dont have much advice or any other ideas

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree it sounds like reflux. Not all babies vomit when they have it.

My daughter also had reflux with similar reactions to feeding time, she was put on Zantac and an anti-reflux formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by raracookie View Post
    I agree it sounds like reflux. Not all babies vomit when they have it.

My daughter also had reflux with similar reactions to feeding time, she was put on Zantac and an anti-reflux formula.
    Yep the reason why we didnt click sooner that DS had reflux was because he wasnt vomitting n putting on a fair bit of weight lol The paed put him on losec and ar formula.

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with pp's could be silent reflux, maybe worth making sure its not a lactose problem also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    incredibly, the paediatrician said it wasn't reflux. and that it was because my baby's personality is developing and she's just testing her mummy! he suggested i continue to jolly her along and start introducing solids at 4 months as she might be happier with solids.

as it turned out, my mother's advice was correct. she observed my baby for a week and suggested that perhaps DD wasn't hungry enough and I should stretch out the feeding interval. i did just that and now there's no fighting for the last 3days. the girls are now fed approx 4.5 to 5 hourly intervals.

babies are so hard to figure out...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's great news! Although an extremely frustrating experience to go throug in the first place. At least you have found a solution!