+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What's with all the syringe feeding?? Wouldn't these babies latch or something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I am shocked at the lack of information provided to so many mums - so sad . I attended a breastfeeding class run by my hospital before giving birth and it was great- so much information!

My milk came in on day four but I had plenty of colostrum. We had attachment issues for the first few days but with the help of some wonderful midwives, a nipple shield and a syringe we got through.

For me, knowing that DS was at least getting my colostrum via syringe allowed me to relax. Because he wasn't latching on for the first 24 hours, I was worried that he wasn't getting what he needed. We also used it when he had latched on but was being too lazy to suck, we'd drip some into the side of his mouth.

Another thing I did, suggested during the breastfeeding class, was to express some colostrum before DS was born and freeze it. We were able to give that to DS on day 2 when things were really tough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    What's with all the syringe feeding?? Wouldn't these babies latch or something?
    I had to syringe feed DS because he had jaundice so was too sleepy to feed for any length of time. I still put him on the boob, but also syringe fed because between feeds I was expressing madly to help build my supply so didn't want to waste what I was getting

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (24-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This thread makes me so sad. I cried so much in hospital because DS would not latch on and I was so worried that he was starving. They never once mentioned nipples shields or anything like that. They never gave me reasons as to why he might not be latching, they said it was because I was stressed. They made me feel like it was my fault. I gave him a bottle of formula and poor bub gulped it down like there was no tomorrow.
    I wish I had more support and information.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (24-03-2012),Eko  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    Great info there.... Colostrum has sustained babies for millions of years before mums milk has come in. Nature is extremely clever.
    As to The info I posted earlier, ask for a lactation consultant if you ever have trouble feeding. That's what I did and a lady from the ABA showed me these tummy beads, that's how I got the info. I think these beads should be given to every new mother to help them understand how much newborns need to fill their little tummies. Even people bottle feeding mums should be aware of this.
    I was lucky and had an awesome DF and family who were pro-breast feeding and that's how I got through those first few hard days.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ally3012 For This Useful Post:

HG98  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    if you want to breastfeed and bub needs formula try to feed it with a syringe, spoon or little cup.

DS had a couple of formula feeds day 2-3 (overnight, i tried for 3 hours to feed/settle him), i think they gave him 5-10mls. the midwives said they wouldnt use a bottle but a cup/spoon so as to not cause nipple confusion.

DS ended up having NG formula top ups from day 3-5 as he had lost lots of weight, was passing urates, really unsettled, and i basically had nothing (was getting maybe 0.5ml after expressing both sides). he is nearly 13 months onld and he has only ever had breastmilk since my milk came in (day 5, one of the midwives said this could of happened due to his traumatic birth)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The midwifes would hand express my boobs for the colostrum because DD was jaundiced and too sleepy to suck properly. I could cry thinking back to her madly suckling my finger and crying because she was hungry it was amazing how alert she would become after a syringe feed, it was like a magic potion lol. I don't want to starve my next baby like that poor hungry DD

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ally3012 View Post
    As to The info I posted earlier, ask for a lactation consultant if you ever have trouble feeding. That's what I did and a lady from the ABA showed me these tummy beads, that's how I got the info. I think these beads should be given to every new mother to help them understand how much newborns need to fill their little tummies. Even people bottle feeding mums should be aware of this.
    I was lucky and had an awesome DF and family who were pro-breast feeding and that's how I got through those first few hard days.
    Ally I read "The womanly art of breastfeeding" (STUPID title) which is an amazing book, it gave me huge confidance in my bodies ability to breastfeed. I think knowledge beforehand is just so essential...

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DS the hospital gave him a bottle on day 2 as they thought they were doing the right thing. My grandma (replacement mum) passed away so to give me a chance to process everything they took him into the nursery while there they gave him one. :-( it destroyed my chances of successfully BF, as once he got that bottle he became lazy and nothing I tried with the help of my lactation nurse worked :-(

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkandSandy For This Useful Post:

Eko  (25-03-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkandSandy View Post
    With DS the hospital gave him a bottle on day 2 as they thought they were doing the right thing. My grandma (replacement mum) passed away so to give me a chance to process everything they took him into the nursery while there they gave him one. :-( it destroyed my chances of successfully BF, as once he got that bottle he became lazy and nothing I tried with the help of my lactation nurse worked :-(
    I'm sorry