+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nat11 View Post
    A nurse gave my premmie baby formula at 12 hours old and I flipped out. Hospital record says I agreed to it but I can promise that I no way no how did. I had collostrom in a syringe for him and had been expressing it from about 15 mins after his birth. They did the same thing with a dummy. Apparently my baby was too small to breastfeed and suck on a nipple for comfort but a dummy was ok. Wtf. I'm still furious a year later. It completely sabotaged my milk production and I had to mix feed for 6 months until he self weaned despite every possible effort and medication to boost my supply.
    That is terrible they did that without your consent!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It depends what hospital you are in I think. I had the same thing happen as Nat with my prems, they were being BF and topped up with EBM through a NG tube.
    The MW was awful and made me cry saying I wasn't on time to feed them (I was) so she would give them formula. Even though I had plenty of EBM in the SCN fridge.
    My Mum made a complaint on my behalf to the NUM and she was nice as pie then.
    I have seen some nurses push FF only on Day 3 to some mums I know.
    If they do this with me this time I'll not so politely tell them to shove it! Only staying in overnight this time hopefully as I spent 11 weeks in last time and since hate hospitals lol.

Shortiii is offline Baby H v2.0 - Anticipating April release
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS had problems attaching which was due to a jaw issue we didnt know at the time. He wasn't getting anything and was becoming stressed and losing weight. They refused to give me formula for him in the public hospital i was in. They wouldn't let me leave until he was doing wees but he wasn't getting any liquid!!
    I discharged myself and we bought formula and bottles on the way home.
    I'm going private this time and they will do whatever I want in regards to feeding. Going to try and bf again but the jaw problem is genetic and our new baby may have issues again. We're prepared and aware this time though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just some info
    At day 1, bubs tummy can only fit 1mL
    At day 3, 5mL
    At day 10, 10mL
    Then to the size of his clenched fist so don't stress there will be enough colostrum.
    I was freaking out in hospital until an ABA lactation consultant came and saw me and showed me these beads (hence the info above). I was asking for formula top ups in the first 3 days until we managed to get her to latch. I went on to feed for 24 months with a shield. Nurses told me I wouldn't have any milk by 6 months, goes to show what persistence can do!! Good luck!!

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ally3012 For This Useful Post:

bada  (24-03-2012),Berrie  (24-03-2012),Bubbles10  (24-03-2012),CazHazKidz  (27-03-2012),CluckySC  (25-03-2012),GothChick  (24-03-2012),mrswhitehouse  (24-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Your baby probably won't need much more than the colostrum your body will be offering at that point...

I do know that I was asked if a bottle could be attempted to be given to DD as she wouldn't even suck on my colostrum... she would take one sip and fall straight to sleep. I okayed the bottle, but she fell asleep on it too. lol.

It's better for your supply to not use formula though... your body needs your baby to suck in order to figure out how much to produce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ally3012 View Post
    Just some info
    At day 3, 5mL
    At day 10, 10mL
    Then to the size of his clenched fist so don't stress there will be enough colostrum.
    I was freaking out in hospital until an ABA lactation consultant came and saw me and showed me these beads (hence the info above). I was asking for formula top ups in the first 3 days until we managed to get her to latch. I went on to feed for 24 months with a shield. Nurses told me I wouldn't have any milk by 6 months, goes to show what persistence can do!! Good luck!!
    I wish the stupid midwives and breast consultants I was dealing with had told me this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCherry View Post
    I wish the stupid midwives and breast consultants I was dealing with had told me this.

Yeah, two hospital births and I've never heard it either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just some info
    At day 3, 5mL
    At day 10, 10mL

I am the same 2 hospital births and I hadn't heard that either - Luckily my mum was a great support with everything especially BF so she was great whcih helped me and then with DS I had the Hub as a weath of info and support as well as my mum!
    This needs to be plastered EVERYWHERE!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Seacretsquirrel For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (24-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on the midwife.....some were anti, but one lovely midwife helped me syringe feed my bubs a little formula for a few days til my milk came in-and he's had no problem attaching or feeding since. My baby was two weeks late, 10 pound 7, no brown fat to live off.....he screamed his little tush off cause he was HUNGRY! My milks in now & all fine, but I'm glad that one midwife offered it to me, if I couldn't yet give him the food he wanted, I'm glad I had the option to give him an alternative for a short term

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just some info
    At day 3, 5mL
    At day 10, 10mL
    Great info there.... Colostrum has sustained babies for millions of years before mums milk has come in. Nature is extremely clever.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

bada  (24-03-2012),smallpotatoes  (24-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (24-03-2012)