+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Applying for houses

So heres the run down, mil and I have had a massive fight tonight ( we live with her and fil) it's something that has been a long time coming, long story short she made me feel like a useless pathetic mother cause I won't parent the way she thinks Its done!!! Pffffft whatever nobody in this world parent the same!!
    Anyway if I had of had somewhere to go tonight the kids and I would of been there!!!
    I'm looking at a house tomorrow as we are looking for our own place away from her so I can parent my children the way I want and have them in routines and hopefully get my 6 yr old dd back on track with behavior as I'm not liking the person she is turning into because of her!!!
    Heres the thing neither of us have a rental history as we have always lived with others!! We have tried before and continuously been knocked back which makes us disheartened that we will never get our place so give up!!

Anyone got any ideas on how us first time renters can get a foot in the door ?? How did u get your first place ?
    It is important we are out of ASAP I just can't handle being around her anymore !!!

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had rental history but here are my top tips:

1. Go to the inspection with all the paperwork already filled out and copies of your payslips, drivers licenses and everything. You can get the rental application forms from the realtor's website or if not, call and ask for them to be emailed. This is SUCH a great tactic and I think the reason i got every rental I ever went for in the competitive Sydney market.

2. Be the first person at the inspection. Arrive early and be waiting. Dress well, wear makeup. Don't bring the kids if you can help it. First impressions are important.

3. Be a little "flexible" when filling out the options showing where you lived previously. Living in one family home paying board is preferable to house-hopping or living somewhere for free. If MIL won't vouch for you find a friend who will and get them to pretend to be her. They will never be the wiser and as long as you don't get put up for eviction they will never check. Don't get out up for eviction!

4. In everything you write and say out yourself in the rental agent's shoes. They want someone who won't wreck the place and won't give trouble. Be that person.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

Jemma87  (24-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump!!!

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Have u tried private rentals from the paper and gumtree?

When I had no rental history, the agent told me (17,single & studying, on centerlink payments) told me to go and rent a cabin for 6 weeks to show I can pay my rent on time.
    So I did that & my application was accepted on the very next unit I went for (different agent) in the most desirable units in town :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mystical mumma For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (24-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Make sure you already have money for bond (1 months rent) and a full months rent to be paid in advance. If you have work references put them down, landlords want to be sure that the rent will be paid on time, every time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Jemma87  (24-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Renting a cabin with 4 children I don't think will be very easy!!
    As for bond that's figured out an rent in advance is figured out also!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For us we took the kids(bribed them to behave with a massive treat) they are good kids but well mannered and well behaved kids made a great impression and they were not visualizing other children as what mine MIGHT do to the property.

We were well dressed(no make up- I woke with kids so dress casual but neat) and showed up in a clean well maintained looking car.

WE were moving from another rental BUT had to pay $1000 each week to rent both properties for a month.

WE paid the whole month and bond in advance to secure the property until we could move in.(it was from our house deposit BUT our rental was for sale)

IF you have been renting with others showing you have saved money and can pay your way despite no history will show that you are not wasteful or a moocher. Like PP has said get someone to vouch for you... its not a crime to reduce expenditure through sharing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fairyflossfairy For This Useful Post:

Jemma87  (24-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Acquiring a rental property when you are young and have kids is hell. I struggled for years to get a place of my own and when it did finally happen i didn't do anything special in regards to applying for the property. For one i was interstate so i lied about inspecting the property. I applied a few days after the inspection was held so alot of people would have got in before me. I didn't bother with cover letters or the likes. I just filled out the application, answered all relevant questions and managed to be the agents pick.

So i'm not sure what you can apart from keep on trying, If you are eligible for DOH apply with them for what it's worth, also put your name down for any community rent scheme or supported accommodation you may be eligible for.

Good luck!