+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Routine vs Child led/going with the flow

Both. We have a crazy busy life, older kids have to be out the door to the bus by 7.10, lots of extracurricular, 2 fiulltime jobs so there are certain things everyone just have to do. But with my babies and toddlers I am very much go with the flow, demand feed, co sleep if they need it, I still lie down with them to go to sleep etc, would never dream of doing tizzie or similar abd would never close doors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Routine vs Child led/going with the flow

I'm not a routine driven person at all... Which is kind of funny since I have a child on the Autism spectrum and typically kids on the spectrum love routine! We are very much a day by day type of family.... Breakfast, lunch and dinner are never at a set time for eg and most days I have no idea what I'm going to do... I just figure it out (ie am I going shopping today? Cleaning today?)

Of course my son has certain routines and things he likes done in a certain order thiugh, as do most people.

We try to live stress free and calmly as my son has an advanced stutter and any stress in the family or hurrying him too much make it far far worse.

Live and let live, be happy... Thats my motto! :-)

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews

I've been a bit of both, I guided ds into one from about 2 months and I'm doing the same for dd. But if they happen to be hungry or tired inbetween I follow their lead. One thing I am strict about is 7pm bedtime i put them to bed and just go back in to them however many times it takes for them to fall asleep. Ds now goes very happily in fact he races us in to his bedroom! Dd originally was taking two hours to fall asleep but it's now about half an hour. She's 10 weeks now and we started that at 8 weeks.

Ds's door is shut but we hear him when he yells out.

I am a routine kind of person I prefer to know what's happening when and I can really see that personality in my son too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Routine vs Child led/going with the flow

My DS has been a routine baby from the start. I hate it. Goes against everything I wanted to be as a parent. In saying that he needs it. I would have loved to go with the flow and hope to with#2 but if routine is what they need I will go with that.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I am routine person. However it is still baby led. I did start off just going with the flow but it just did not work for me or DS.

I focus more on his awake time and the order of things. I will only wake him from a nap if we have to be somewhere or he hasn't fed for 4 hours (he is 4 months old). I don't have an exact bedtime or wake time.

It just makes it more predictable for my DH, DS and both grandmas. So at the moment he is awake for 1 hour and 50 minutes (gets shorter as the day goes by) and he has 3-4 naps in a day. When he wakes he is fed, changed then plays until 30 minutes before bedtime. He is then changed again and we wind down for every nap and bedtime. If we are out we do the same thing except he sleeps in the wrap instead of the cot.

I am definitely a person who needs routine and structure. And I believe my DS thrives from it as he is always happy (unless not well) and I can read his cues much better because I know what should be coming next and if he is acting different I can tell straight away why.

It does mean I try to organise things around him because i would prefet him sleep at home but it is easy to do as I can predict what he will do next.