+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just to comment on the shutting of the door.... My 18 month old and 5 year olds are both in a bed in their (separate) rooms with the door shut.... Never had a problem! We can hear them no problems even without a monitor!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As babies mine had a loose routine. I always fed, played, slept (except at bedtime there was no 'play', just feed and sleep) and it worked really well for us. As they got older, the sleeps got fewer, if they weren't tired I didn't 'enforce' sleep, and after a few days of that, learnt they may be outgrowing that sleep-time kind of thing. We didn't go by the clock although their days were always pretty predictable. I also didn't leave a friend's house or shops or whatever to get home for naps, they slept wherever I was or missed it. We had pretty regular eating times but if they are not hungry I don't force them to eat, and if they are hungry at another time, I don't starve them. When I had DS, he had to fit into the older kids' routine, as the older two had to be at school by a certain time etc, so I always woke him up at 7-7:30, fed him, changed him etc so I could do the school drop off without him being hungry.

As they have gotten older its more strict routine because of school etc. Like Benji said, its the only way to be for us, if we didn't enforce bed time they'd stay up all night. Although I do let them read and turn their lights out when they feel tired themselves. Lately things have been pretty chaotic and routine-less and it is affecting everyone in the family really negatively, I'm naturally a very go-with-the-flow person and struggle with routine, but as a family with kids at school, we really need it to function.
    Last edited by Annabella; 26-03-2012 at 19:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A routine's work really well for us. DD's slept 7pm-7am since she was 9 weeks old, and we havent needed to do controlled crying. What helped us is having a predictable bedtime routine: 5pm dinner, 6pm bath, 6:30ish bottle.

Her day sleeps are rarely consistent - sometimes she needs 2 sleeps, usually just one now (she's 15 months). But the 7pm bedtime has always worked. And when she was having bottles we fed them at set times. She never got hungry in between because she never got into a habit of snacking.

I will definitely try this routine when we have another bub too because I am one of those people who go nutty without sleep. A few of my friends are go-with-the-flow parents and are still getting up a few times every night. I feel sad for them, it's hard! I am really glad we started the routine early.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Routine vs Child led/going with the flow

I have a bedtime routine for my 5.5 month old but that's the only way I'll get her to self settle and she sleeps at 7pm-6:30/7am with 2 wake ups for feeds.

This can only happen though if she's had an afternoon sleep that ends around 5pm. There is no daytime routine though I wish there was as there is no consistency and the only way I can get DD to have that afternoon sleep is by walking her in the pram or driving her in the car. It drives me batty!

Those of you who say you have a sleep routine, how do you set that up to ensure your bubs sleep for the same length of time for each nap?

Ie most mornings DD is up at 7 and has her first nap at 9:30. Sometimes it is for only 40 minutes, other times it is for 1 hr 20, so from there I never know what to do to time her feeds and sleeps so I can get that all important last sleep that ends at 5ish.

Any tips? TIA!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we are child led, but I do insist on at least a rest every afternoon, and have to lay down by 1 to be up in time for the school pick up.
    Im also trying to be more organised in the evenings to get DD to bed early enough that she'll wake up easily in the morning!

Thanks
    Reviews

Definitely go with the flow. I have a structured day but no definite routine. I take signs from DS and attend to his needs. I have tried a routine but that was not for us at all.
    Feeds are never same time just when I think he is getting hungry (roughly every 3 hour). Naps are just when he shows signs of being tired and if he does not want to go to sleep I pick him up and try again later.
    Bath is whenever we get home or when we think he is ready. Always followed by quite time and then bed.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm a 'both' person as well. We started off fully child led but it just wasn't working. Then one day I was trying desperately to get her to go to sleep for a nap, about an hour of this and I really needed to go to the toilet so I left her for a second to go. Came back and she was fast asleep! She falls better sooooo much easier if I leave the room. Wrapped up, dummy in and me out of the room- she's asleep in a couple of minutes. If I stay, she keeps smiling, showing off, kicking and never settles!

I'm pretty strict on the morning nap now. No set time, whenever she starts getting tired and cranky between 9.30-11 am down she goes. If we're out I put her in the pram & cover it up. She's a much happier baby when she gets her nap. I'm working on an afternoon nap which has been a bit harder, but she is so tired and grumpy by mid afternoon if she doesn't. She really doesn't go to sleep well if I just wait for her to go to sleep so I really have to be strict about getting her in the habit of it. Naps vary in length, we don't have a set time she needs to be asleep for or anything.

Bedtime we're similar. Anytime after 5pm she shows signs of being tired & cranky we are off to bed. I do have a bedtime routine- shower, feed, bed. Virtually never have any trouble getting her to sleep by 7 this way. She now seems to expect it and actually seems happier when we start the bedtime routine!

Feeds about every 2-3 hours. Whenever she's hungry but If its been 3 hours I offer it to her. She just doesn't take it if she's not hungry but most of the time she latches on and has a really good feed when I offer it.

I don't use a monitor either....I can hear her if she wakes up.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews

I started with going with the flow when small and they both fell into a routine, as they go older I changed it around abit but now they are in a routine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

I've followed the SOS routine since bub was 8 months. It only took a few days before bub settled in. I don't force feed bub when he's hungry and I don't force bub to sleep when he's not tired. The routines are formed in such a way that if you do them correctly then a lot of the time the suit bubs needs. So bub doesn't have to cry for a feed or sleep because the options are offered at the right time.

I like some structure, so it suits me. It also helped as I wasnt really familiar with ideal bub awake/sleep times.

As with anything you have to use your commonsense.

Now bub is older the routines are a little more flexible and that's cool too. I have the confidence now to Wing things if needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have routine. We have to.
    On Monday's the kids need to wake no later then 6:40am and they need to be ready to leave at 7am so I can get to work.
    On the rest of the week days they can sleep till 7:30 if the want, but they don't.
    We are home at 4 we have dinner at 5 they are in bed at 6:30-7 come this time they are ready. They are 2 and 7

They have had routine their whole lives, of course if they didn't sleep we pushed it back, but this works for us.

I'm also one of those parents that shut the door, if I don't my 2 year old gets up (he is in a single bed) my daughters door is open now.