User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Learning to ride a two wheeled bike

Hi guys.. My DSD has reached the point where she really wants to learn how to ride her two wheeled bike.. But with elbow and knee pads in case she falls (she came up with that). If it gives her that extra bit of confidence she needs to start I'm happy to pay for them. She's afraid she'll fall over, of course. I can't wait to take her out to start riding her bike but not sure where to start.

She's 5.5yo.. Any tips or advice? What has or hasn't worked??
    Counting down til our bundle of joy

"Anyone can be a Father. It takes a special someone to be Dad.. and an even greater person to be a Step-dad"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd get her some training wheels... that way she can't actually ''fall over'' and hurt herself.. when she gets more confident you can take them off...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if she would be too big but balance bikes are great my 3 yr old is riding a 2 wheeler already thanks to one. good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    BI believe balancing is intuitive not instinctual. She can gain the experience of staying upright on a bike first before introducing the task of pedalling.
    I did this with my eldest by having two bikes is use - one with pedals and training wheels and one with the pedals removed. The latter one needs to be small enough for a child to make contact with the ground and can be used up and down gentle slopes. I believe they are sold and are called 'gliders' but I just modified a bike a found on a coucil clean up. HTH

Ps- "Balance bike" as daysta mentioned
    Last edited by nats; 23-03-2012 at 22:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id try the training wheels as she cant fall over then gradually adjust them so they are further from the ground. Then when are confident she can ride without them, then remove them.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll clarify a little bit on what daddykisses means.... DD his SD) actually came up to me the other day and demanded that I take off the training wheels off of her bike and asked if we could buy the elbow, knee and wrist pads - cos she wants to ride on two wheels.... She cracked a wobbly cos i said that we'll wait till the following day to go to the shop to make the purchases.

She wont allow either of us to put the training wheels back on at all either cos "the big kids dont use them". Independant little ratbag she is

Me 28, He 28, DD 5

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

Last Monday I taught my 6yr old DSD how to ride without training wheels ... I ran behind her for a bit while she balanced, then let go... She was wobbly at first but eventually got the hang of it.

Then last Wednesday I taught my 4yr old dd .. She sat on her bike and I gave her a push off and told her to peddle and she did... Although she cried the whole time, but she did great. We then came home, had lunch and she hassled me to go out and ride, now that's all she wants to do