+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Grade 1 reading level

So my ds is in grade 1 (with high function autism)
    His English class do those little reading books. And there are levels ranging from 1 to 25.
    I just found out he is on level 6 but was told that's a average c student. Which is great but I want him to try and get higher as some students are at level 20.

So I'm want to buy some of those books in different levels. Is there a place or type of sets you can buy in bulk?

Any tips to point me in the right direction is great

my house
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It depends on what kind of levels the school uses. It could be reading recovery levels or PM benchmark or some other kinds of levels.

You could buy some basic, but repetitive books of things your child is interested in.

Try not to focus too much on your son's reading level, and don't worry too much what levels other children are at. Many children can read fluently but have no idea what they've read. They are merely barking at print. Focus more on your child being able to comprehend what he's read, he will then find reading enjoyable and improve in his own time.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 23-03-2012 at 21:48.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As PP said - depends a lot on exactly what reading series they are using. If you go and buy a set just like they have (at the higher level) you will essentially be training him to read those sorts of books (eg. teaching to the test).

For reading, follow his interests, and it doesn't just need to be books. Magazines, comics, even junk mail! This will help him to learn all about the different purposes of text as well. For books, I'd generally avoid the Diego/Spongebob/etc ones - they are terribly written - but most popular children's authors are well written with lots of high-frequency words and repetition. Also, some kids love informational books. Your local library would be the best place to start.

If he likes computers (which most kids with ASD that I've worked with do) you could also look at the Reading Eggs website.