View Poll Results: Do you support the rights of same sex couples to marry?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

169 89.42%
  • No

20 10.58%
Closed Thread
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Given the where this thread has gone I'll just say, people will think
    whatever they want to think regardless of it being against popular opinion, bigoted, discriminatory etc.. This is the beauty of freedom of thought. I personally do not think this makes the person anything, other than having a different social discourse to my own. There comes a time when our own opinions change and evolve (I can think of many times I have changed my own views) this I believe is not from being told but through an experience or reflection. The best learning comes intrinsically, not from others telling you how it should be. For what it's worth Kimberleygal1, I think I disagree with you on almost everything but I totally respect your right to say it and I actually admire the fact that you are true to your own beliefs.
    You respect bigoted hatred and ignorance? Gob-smacking.

I am sorry, but I totally disagree that sprouting hateful and absurd opinions on a public forum should be allowed. This is a public arena, not someone's cosy loungeroom, where they can say what they want. It's called discrimination and it is illegal because it is the wrong thing to do.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

delirium  (05-04-2012),Guest1234  (05-04-2012),Luna Lovegood  (05-04-2012),SassyMummy  (05-04-2012),shelle65  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Bollocks Babyla. If someone posted that they don't think people of mixed race should marry, I highly doubt you'd be applauding their freedom of choice. It seems that homosexuality is the last bastion of discrimination that is still allowed.
    People can think whatever they want doesn't mean I agree with it or applaud what they're saying but I will always applaud freedom of choice. If they were to post something discriminatory about mixed race I would think the same thing I do now.. , nothing I say is going to change it. They have to figure it out for themselves. I personally think that anyone can believe whatever they want no matter how revolted I am by it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bollocks Babyla. If someone posted that they don't think people of mixed race should marry, I highly doubt you'd be applauding their freedom of choice. It seems that homosexuality is the last bastion of discrimination that is still allowed.
    If someone had strong views about purity of races and was of the opinion that people should only marry someone of their own race, then I think that they should be allowed to have that opinion. I am glad that that opinion is not supported by the majority and people are allowed to marry people of other races.

Even if they stated that any mixed race child was an abomination and should be sterilised at birth, I think they should be entitled to their opinion. Though I think it would be a sad day if people with such an opinion was in abundance that it became law.

Also, opinions need to be allowed to be voiced to have a chance of changing them. If someone is told their opinion is wrong but denied the opportunity to express and explore it, then they will keep that opinion in the shadows and it will never be properly challenged. However if it is allowed out in daylight then it can be challenged and tempered and the person may see reason to change their opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Look. In Kimberleygals defence (!) she didn't just start a bigoted tirade. We were asked a question, and she answered honestly. She keeps getting asked more questions and keeps answering. The one thing I hope is that opening people up to other views can get them thinking critically. I don't want this thread closed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

babyla  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There werent attacks on same sex couples. She is expressing her view and doing so with dignity. She hasn't called people names but is explaining where she comes from. People are all different. Her view is not bigoted because it differs from yours. Her view is based on her conditioning. Back off with the bullying, it just does the thread, issue and blood pressure no good.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopefully2 For This Useful Post:

SixtiesChild  (09-04-2012),sweetseven  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Look. In Kimberleygals defence (!) she didn't just start a bigoted tirade. We were asked a question, and she answered honestly. She keeps getting asked more questions and keeps answering. The one thing I hope is that opening people up to other views can get them thinking critically. I don't want this thread closed.
    Exactly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babyla, I do understand what you mean. As Voltaire said
    "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babyla, I do understand what you mean. As Voltaire said
    "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
    Haha you're all over it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Haha you're all over it!
    But...I'm still going to argue it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    But...I'm still going to argue it!
    Good, that's your right and I wouldn't expect anything less

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (05-04-2012)