View Poll Results: Do you support the rights of same sex couples to marry?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

169 89.42%
  • No

20 10.58%
Closed Thread
Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh dear. I'm just going to laugh or else I may cry. I refuse to get into 'is it a choice' again. Actually, I've just had an idea for a thread. Bear with me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Purpz  (23-05-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally I don't even see the "choice" debate as even relevant. "It's not their choice" makes being gay sound like some kind of disease. So what if being gay was a choice? Would that preclude them from marriage?

Some of you still don't get it. Your belief of what marriage is or should be in a holy or spiritual sense has NOTHING to do with the legal contract of marriage in Australia. Keep your religious notion of marriage as is if it comforts you, but please don't stop others who do not share your belief from entering into that legal contract.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (26-03-2012),Benji  (26-03-2012),Deserama  (26-03-2012),peoniesarepretty  (26-03-2012),Plan A  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    Just to let u know I started the marriage and procreating go together and by the way...my dad is gay!!!!

Marriage and the law are a judeo christian concept and homosexuality is not excepted by both.
    This would be incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    I studied theology at uni and as i understand the concept of marriage is a religious concept. It was created by god after the acceptance of the ten commandments.

Marriage, where you stand in front of a celebrant (registered by law) declare your vows then sign documents and those documents are then registered with the government - can you please tell me the scripture where it says that God created this? Chapter and verse please! Also can you show me the scripture where it says that marriage, like what I described above, is in the commandments. Thank you.

Thank you my father is accepted and loved for just being him. He did have a commitment ceremony but has since ended that relationship...that happens.

I don't wish to be abused or put down for having a point of view that differs from the masses. I don't see gay marriage as a holy commitment. I don't really believe it to be the way it was intended. I accept homosexuality and love people who are gay but I believe it is a choice.

My dad agrees its a conscious choice.
    So tell me, How old were you when you decided to be straight?

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    BTW, I see the "choice" issue as an interesting way of approaching the broad issue of homosexuality, just not relevant or helpful to the marriage debate.

Minors don't choose to be under the age of 18, but that doesn't mean they should be allowed to marry. To say someone didn't choose to be gay or straight adds nothing to the debate, in this context it's just distracting.

The underlying issue as I see it is simply that some people simply don't recognise homosexual relationships as equal to or worthy of social and legal acknowledgment as heterosexual relationships. It is this notion that needs to be addressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also Hopefully2, marriage back then was different AGAIN. Because the man would have to ask the father for her daughter and they would then become betrothed. He would then have to go away and work for 7 years and build up a life, then come back after that 7 years and he would know that his betrothed was still his because she would have the lamp burning in her window. They would then have a ceremony so that all would know that they are to belong together and then they would consumate their 'union' and then they were married.

This, by the way, still wasn't created by God either....this was what the Hebrews wanted for piece of mind more than anything. The whole wedding thing was so that people wouldn't go around having sex and creating children then run off and claim they didn't have anything to do with the woman. So the ceremony came along as a declaration so all know that this man and woman planned on being together so neither could claim they weren't. Marriage wouldn't actually take place until they 'laid' together and became one flesh as per Genisis 2 and Matt 11.

Marriage how it is today, never existed. This is a relatively new thing as, even in the 1700's marriage wasn't 'government' it was the church and they'd get married in the church and the priest would then record the marriage in the church records....not legal! Again, so all knew that they were husband and wife. There were witnesses and it was in the church records. Marriage today is NOTHING like it was back then.

***disclaimer - I could have failed from the finer points as it's been a long time since I've studied it too but the basic gist is the same****

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't quite get the 'choice' argument either. We all choose our partners, imagine if we were told 'you can't marry him because he has brown hair'... would we simply fall out of love with them, choose a blonde and marry them?

Life isn't that straightforward!

Even if attraction was a 'choice' I still don't see that as an argument against gay people being legally allowed to marry.

Gay people are now considered 'married' in Centrelink's eyes - I believe it's time to give them the right to marry legally, if they have to deal with the consequences of cohabitating with a partner, they should have the same rights as the rest of us.

Those who claim that marriage is a strictly religious ceremony, should I be allowed to marry even though DP and I are strictly athiest? I believe if it's purely a religious ceremony, it should not be a legal contract - religion and the law are separate in this country. That's why I believe it's not a religious ceremony and document, it's a legal one. Of course, many couples choose to hold the ceremony in their church, but the document and marriage (and possibly divorce) are all for legal purposes.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Eesh, i posted a link calm down. Its a positive video. And a lot of people especially people who vote no in these types of things, believe it is a choice.

Ill just bow out before i phuck anymore threads up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Eh? How did you phuck it up DE? I'm pretty sure another poster mentioned the choice word earlier as an argument against gay marriage.

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah DE, I don't think these posts are aimed at you my friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm curious as to why people think someone would choose to do something that they know was going to make their life so open to criticism and judgement from not only strangers, but often their family and peers as well.

I didn't choose to fall in love with my husband, it's something that progressed and happened. If I had the choice I would've fallen in love with a man who has more money..lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MissPoss For This Useful Post:

missybubble  (26-03-2012)