View Poll Results: Do you support the rights of same sex couples to marry?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

169 89.42%
  • No

20 10.58%
Closed Thread
Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    Just to let u know I started the marriage and procreating go together and by the way...my dad is gay!!!!

Marriage and the law are a judeo christian concept and homosexuality is not excepted by both.
    Can you please explain why you think marriage is a judeo christian concept? I would really like to hear your POV on this.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 26-03-2012 at 01:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Hopefully2

I think you will find that 'marriage' and 'laws' were around well before the introduction of Judeo Christian Religion. That has been stated previously.

Your interpretation of those writings may lead you to believe that Homosexuality is not accepted, but there are people who believe differently - especially people who have studied and know that particular religion inside and out.

I hope your Dad is happy, and is supported by his family for simply being him
    I studied theology at uni and as i understand the concept of marriage is a religious concept. It was created by god after the acceptance of the ten commandments.

Thank you my father is accepted and loved for just being him. He did have a commitment ceremony but has since ended that relationship...that happens.

I don't wish to be abused or put down for having a point of view that differs from the masses. I don't see gay marriage as a holy commitment. I don't really believe it to be the way it was intended. I accept homosexuality and love people who are gay but I believe it is a choice.

My dad agrees its a conscious choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If he created it after the ten commandments what did they do in the 2500 years between Adam and Eve and Moses? That makes no sense? Marriage was well and truely before Moses, Abraham was married ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ofcourse that is what you understand - that is your belief and that is what you studied.
    You will come across the concept of Marriage from many other cultures pre-dating the one you are referring to though, if you care or decide to look into it.

I can understand where you Dad would be coming from, I assume he was with a woman a some point (if you are a child from that relationship) ...many people attempt to fit in with societies 'norms' and then 'decide' that they aren't being true to themselves and 'choose' not to live that lie anymore.
    I'd say it would be different for each individual.

No one will abuse you or put you down, they may attempt to understand where you are coming from or object to your view though.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 25-03-2012 at 23:18.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    So I've been following the discussion about why Julia hasn't put same sex marriage on the agenda and find it quite interesting.

So....bit confused here though. If ~70% of the population support same sex marriage as an earlier poster said, then I'm not sure why she wouldn't put it on the agenda. Sure she might lose some conservative Labor voters, but in return she might pick up some voters who usually vote LNP as well as a good portion of those swinging voters.

I think someone also mentioned she didn't want to annoy Bob Brown- but I'm pretty certain the Greens are pro gay marriage. (isn't he openly gay as well?)

I do agree it's a risky move for a PM to make, but if the poll results showing how many support gay marriage are accurate than I'd probably seriously consider putting it up there if I was her...it seems like a good political move. Unless there's something I've completely missed?
    The problem is that without the ability of the citizenry to initiate a referendum, as electors we only have the ability to choose between the entirety of platforms. That puts us into a position where while something may be overwhelmingly supported, it can still be an electorally negative proposition. It stems from the fact that different people vote based on different aspects of each party's platform, whereas some aspects of the platforms are essentially irrelevant to them.

Think of it this way: The churches are very good at mobilising in support of their agenda. Should the ALP move to legislate to allow gay marriage, the churches will jump on their soapboxes and spew out their bigotry, and a significant number of people will vote against the ALP based almost purely on this issue, regardless of whether or not they agree with the rest of the ALP platform.

The reverse isn't necessarily true. There would be a certain number of centrist coalition voters who might change their votes, and many gay and lesbian coalition voters and their closest would likely do the same. But for a large part of the population, while their sense of fairness and decency would dictate that they wouldn't oppose gay marriage, it very likely wouldn't be an issue that would change their vote on its own.

So, while gay marriage is unquestionably supported by an overwhelming majority, it would be an issue that would have a net negative impact on their electoral chances.

Granted, I've never conducted polling on the subject, and I'm obviously not privy to the ALP internal polling. But I would bet my danglers that this is the case.
    Last edited by DaddyLarge; 25-03-2012 at 23:26.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

TheMadHatter  (26-03-2012)

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    For the record, marriage was NOT a Judeo-Christian creation. Marriage was originally a civil institution, later co-opted by religion.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (26-03-2012),MuminMind  (25-03-2012),Witwicky  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If he created it after the ten commandments what did they do in the 2500 years between Adam and Eve and Moses? That makes no sense? Marriage was well and truely before Moses, Abraham was married ?
    Abraham was not married in the true sense. He had numerous concubines...one being the bearer of Ishmael...the fore father of Islam.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    Abraham was not married in the true sense. He had numerous concubines...one being the bearer of Ishmael...the fore father of Islam.
    Abram was married to Sarai, they later became Abraham and Sarah. Hagar was the mother of Ishmael, she was a maid servant of Abram and Sarai.

Marriage existed before Moses. It existed before Judaism.

Guest Guest
    I don't really care how people feel about marriage, why they get married and what their definitions are. As long as it doesn't impose on people's rights to marriage by law in this country and allows everyone else to have their own meaning spiritually.
    If you get married to pro create only, that's fine, others get married for many other reasons besides love, one of my reasons was to have that legal recognition because we'd already been married in Gods eyes for 8 years. But when we did sign that paper, it changed a lot for us. I know people who got married so they can live in the same country, others because they were pregnant and their parents wanted them married and others simply cause they wanted the party with a divorce 6 months later.
    The mere fact it's between a man and a woman means nothing, man and woman doesn't make marriage sacred, special, more meaningful. Look at how it's treated? Divorce rates, even kids can get married.
    But what makes it powerful? That piece of paper, that legal recognition, not because you walked down an aisle or your pro creating. God has nothing to do with it.
    A ceremony without that piece of paper isnt good enough imo, and it's ridiculous to say to a couple it's all they need. That piece of paper is powerful and every couple regardless of gender deserves it. To say otherwise is WRONG.
    Marriage is a legal contract by law, if you read the bible and follow the bible, it says the law of the land must be respected first and foremost not your religion. This speaks volumes, this says that laws don't always follow the laws of religion, but they must be respected.
    Therefore the marriage laws can change and it has nothing to do with religion, or God or any other reason given but law.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Gah I can't believe I've read most of this thread. Full of people who seem to know everything and can't handle other people's POV.

I'm not sharing my thought cos I can't be bothered, but what I really want to know is if someone can please lead me to where the 70% of Australians are FOR it is from so I can check it out. Ta
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/n...-1225942157554