View Poll Results: Do you support the rights of same sex couples to marry?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

169 89.42%
  • No

20 10.58%
Closed Thread
Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think people are still getting a bit too caught up in what the definition of marriage should be. Talk about unification of souls and the blessing of children all you like, it has nothing, nothing to do with the legal definition of marriage.

Marriage, for the purposes of this discussion, is a legal contract. It is precisely what we make it. It makes just as much sense to say "marriage is between a man and a woman" as it once did to say "land ownership is for whites" or "voting is for males". The structure and wording of these laws change to suit the times. This one will change too, it's just a matter of when.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (25-03-2012),Benji  (26-03-2012),Deserama  (26-03-2012),FiveInTheBed  (25-03-2012),peoniesarepretty  (25-03-2012),SassyMummy  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So I've been following the discussion about why Julia hasn't put same sex marriage on the agenda and find it quite interesting.

So....bit confused here though. If ~70% of the population support same sex marriage as an earlier poster said, then I'm not sure why she wouldn't put it on the agenda. Sure she might lose some conservative Labor voters, but in return she might pick up some voters who usually vote LNP as well as a good portion of those swinging voters.

I think someone also mentioned she didn't want to annoy Bob Brown- but I'm pretty certain the Greens are pro gay marriage. (isn't he openly gay as well?)

I do agree it's a risky move for a PM to make, but if the poll results showing how many support gay marriage are accurate than I'd probably seriously consider putting it up there if I was her...it seems like a good political move. Unless there's something I've completely missed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleseetee View Post
    Sorry if this offends anyone but I agree. The day that two women or two men have inter.course and create a baby is when I will be 100% for gay marriage. Any same sex couple at all. I understand some hetero couples are infertile. That's got nothing to do with it. History tells me that somewhere along the line there have been a few billion males and females making babies.
    I guess this rules out anyone over fertile age getting married. So no meeting your soul mate at 60 then and enjoying your life. No babies? No love!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (26-03-2012),lambjam  (25-03-2012),peoniesarepretty  (25-03-2012),Witwicky  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleseetee View Post
    Sorry if this offends anyone but I agree. The day that two women or two men have inter.course and create a baby is when I will be 100% for gay marriage. Any same sex couple at all. I understand some hetero couples are infertile. That's got nothing to do with it. History tells me that somewhere along the line there have been a few billion males and females making babies.
    I would rather let 2 people of the same sex who desperately want a child to love be able to fulfill their dream of a family than the thousand of heterosexual parents who neglect and abuse their children, yet still reproduce! God's will???

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (25-03-2012),shelle65  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I would rather let 2 people of the same sex who desperately want a child to love be able to fulfill their dream of a family than the thousand of heterosexual parents who neglect and abuse their children, yet still reproduce! God's will???
    On top of that, plenty of hetro marriages suffer infidelity and DV. Celebrity marriages that last a month and end in divorce. Not saying gay couples don't cheat or be violent, of course they can. But let's be honest, straight marriages break many religious 'rules' as well and are far from perfect.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Marriage won't be what's making me have kids anyway.

I've already got one and have never been married. No idea if I'll be married or not when I have another child. Marriage and children don't automatically go together in this day and age for straight couples... so why does it have to anything to do with whether or not a gay couple should be allowed to get married?

Religion also should never be dragged into it. If marriage was solely a religious thing, then I wouldn't be allowed to get married as an atheist. I am though, because religion has jack to do with the legalities of a marriage.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

missybubble  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh for Frigg's sake!!!

...no I'm not swearing.

Frigg is the goddess associated with marriage and childbirth in Norse mythology - maybe we should ask her??

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

MagicMud  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    What is it based on, if you don't mind me asking?
    You can PM me if you like. I don't want to say anything to upset anyone more than I already have.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to elleseetee For This Useful Post:

share a book  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes! I am still astounded in this day and age that it has happened yet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I respect the right of people to have their own opinions but being gay isn't a decision. A decision denotes choice. Gay people don't choose homosexuality any more than I chose to be straight.
    This.