View Poll Results: Do you support the rights of same sex couples to marry?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

169 89.42%
  • No

20 10.58%
Closed Thread
Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From a Christian's POV -

I agree, I think peeps need to do a bit of research into legal marriage and what it actually is. Legal marriage has NOTHING TO DO WITH GOD!!!!!!!!!

Let me repeat that...

Legal marriage has nothing to do with God.

Unless you want to bring God into it with your vows and such, the legal contract on its own has nothing to do with Him. He didn't ordain it. He didn't command it either! Therefore if the gay community wish to partake in a MAN MADE tradition then they should have the right to do so.

It does not and WILL NOT destroy the sanctity GOD'S definition of marriage. It will not destroy that soulful union either. A man made legal contract that someone decides to enter into has no bearing WHATSOEVER on a spiritual covenant that a man and woman may have with God. These are totally separate things.

If you don't believe me....read the bible yourself. Start with Genesis 2 then go onto Matt 11 and see for yourself GOD'S definition of marriage. Not yours, not your church's, not man's, no tradition...no ceremony, no wedding, no priest, no vows! Go and see for yourself! Stop listening to man's interpretation and go back to what your Father in Heaven has actually said.

Gay marriage has not and WILL NOT destroy marriage.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (25-03-2012),Benji  (25-03-2012),delirium  (25-03-2012),peoniesarepretty  (25-03-2012),SassyMummy  (25-03-2012),shelle65  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I believe same-sex marriage should be allowed. I don't think the church should have to perform religious wedding ceremonies for same-sex couple, since it breaks their 'rules', although it saddens me that 'religious' gay people may not be able to marry before their god. All that aside, I agree that marriage is a legal contract and religion should be left out of it. It is beyond me how gay couples are recognised as a legal couple for centrelink (and presumably tax?) purposes but not if they want to celebrate their union. Also marriage (the contract) historically maybe was not so much based on a loving union between man and woman- more ownership over a woman and property, inheritance etc? I dunno a lot about it but that's how it's seems to be to me.
    Last edited by Annabella; 25-03-2012 at 19:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe I deserve the right to marriage. But at the end of the day I have everything I need my dp and her ds, my amazing little family

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    I've just read about The Mosuo Women.. they have 'walking marriages'

--seriously our world is fascinating!!
    My idea of heaven. Have you read 'Sex at dawn'? I think you'd enjoy it. The 'concealed ovulation' comment made me think of it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    My idea of heaven. Have you read 'Sex at dawn'? I think you'd enjoy it. The 'concealed ovulation' comment made me think of it...
    I started a thread a while ago - thanking YOU for linking it!! - I'll bump it.
    I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    My idea of heaven.
    Really?
    Oh god, no thanks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zombiekitty For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Correct me if I am wrong, but when. Straight couple get married in a church don't they first need to get a licence/certificate or some such from BDM before they can marry?

So why not have a "civil union licence" for all and then those that which to marry in a church before God. And those who wish to have a civil marriage can and those who want to elope can too? so that way under the legal contract all are the same, it's the way you celebrate that is different?

Maybe I have oversimplified it, but if in this country we had one rule for any other minority group and then a different rule for the majority all hell would break loose, but it seems that it's OK to have this discriminatory separation when we talk about a legal contract of partnership.

When you look at the legal definition of marriage as per s5 of the Marriage Act 1961 (the current federal marriage act), it defines marriage as:

"marriage" means the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.

If a man and a man join in a union to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life, then why should that not be called a marriage? Or 2 women for that matter?

The legal definition of marriage does not mention anything about what it says in the bible, so why should that even come into the discussion about law?

It would be like saying person X was born with brown eyes so s/he cannot study science. Sure not everyone with brown eyes would want to study science, but why should the way you were born be the deciding factor about what you can or cannot do?

Yes I am gay. No I don't want to get married. But I still emphatically believe that I should have that choice.

It will not detract from the significance of marriage between hetro couples. In fact will it even affect you? Doubt it. Unless you have a gay child, brother, sister, niece, nephew or other relative. And then maybe you will want them to have the same rights and options as any other couple in love.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catemer For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (26-03-2012),peoniesarepretty  (25-03-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    I've just read about The Mosuo Women.. they have 'walking marriages'

--seriously our world is fascinating!!
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Just read up on the walking marriage and wow. While it wouldn't be for me, it makes a lot of sense on many levels. No divorce, no issues of property splitting, custody (as the child always stays in the woman's extended family). It means the girls don't leave the family so they can care for the elderly.

Very interesting
    Not the only group that does this. I think it is rather brilliant really.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Religion is really about how you choose to perceive it,
    I am roman catholic, I am also had my son out of marriage OMG. A lovely lady from my mothers group, the wife of an Anglican priest (not sure if that's what they were called) said to me once that to her god tells her to be accepting of all of gods childreb. she felt that it was more important to follow this than worry about what others had done because her focus is on herself not others and she can't win, it really made me think about how easy it is to sway things your way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by catemer View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but when. Straight couple get married in a church don't they first need to get a licence/certificate or some such from BDM before they can marry?

So why not have a "civil union licence" for all and then those that which to marry in a church before God. And those who wish to have a civil marriage can and those who want to elope can too? so that way under the legal contract all are the same, it's the way you celebrate that is different?

Maybe I have oversimplified it, but if in this country we had one rule for any other minority group and then a different rule for the majority all hell would break loose, but it seems that it's OK to have this discriminatory separation when we talk about a legal contract of partnership.

When you look at the legal definition of marriage as per s5 of the Marriage Act 1961 (the current federal marriage act), it defines marriage as:

"marriage" means the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.
    Hahahaha should people not be jailed for divorce then?