View Poll Results: Do you support the rights of same sex couples to marry?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

169 89.42%
  • No

20 10.58%
Closed Thread
Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep totally for it. It's not up to me to say who someone else can marry be whoever their partner is.
    In this day & age, & how Australia is as a culture, we're meant robe accepting of all people.
    It's a free country, so why should who you marry be any different

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    I believe marriage was and is a religious ceremony where two souls fit together to create eternal life through procreation.

Do I think this is the definition of modern marriage? To some. Do I believe gay people should be able to get married? It all comes down to what is marriage. To me marriage will always be about unification of souls for the purpose of creating life.
    I'm not a member of the Freemasons, so I don't expect to take part in any of their ceremonies, and I do not expect them to be able to influence government to discriminate against me.

I'm not a member of my local high school, so I don't expect to take part in any of their ceremonies, and I do not expect them to be able to influence government to discriminate against me.

I'm not a member of the Roman Catholic church, so I don't expect to take part in any of their ceremonies, and I do not expect them to be able to influence government to discriminate against me.

Marriage in church has nothing to do with legal marriage. Yes, church marriage may be meaningful to you, but it is irrelevant to this discussion about legal marriage (i.e. the one you would have registered with the Office of Births, Deaths and Marriages if you had believed in that aspect of it).

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    Infertile couples don't know they are necessarily infertile and have technology available to them to create life together. I mean together, not via donation.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong (and offensive in context).

You were asked at some point what should happen with couples who discover they're infertile. Since technology does not always exist for them to create life together (DH and I for one example), your answer still doesn't quite answer the question. Do you believe our marriage should be dissolved against our will because we can't procreate with each other?

Should the fact a sleeping woman ran my husband over in her car (eventually causing his sterility) mean he is now forever banned from marrying? Except for physical injuries he is the same person who you would have permitted to marry earlier in his life. (The minister who presided over both the religious and secular parts of our marriage ceremony did not seem to think a car accident should preclude marriage.)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (25-03-2012),peoniesarepretty  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutely!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    I don't hate religious people, but I am beginning to hate religion with a fervor. And threads like this part of the reason - where my non-belief is being used as a reason for my acceptance and promotion of topics and human rights issues like gay marriage, whereas people cannot accept that I support gay marriage and topics like this as I believe that it is the right thing and not because I don't subscribe to their POV.

My hatred of religion is also in part born of horrible personal experience but people hiding behind and using religion to be biggoted just makes my beliefs stronger.

Yes, Ms Gillard is an atheist and is as outwardly open it as Abott likes to use his religious views as a platform. But being an atheist is politically okay these days and being openly supportive is not (yet) politically okay.
    Look, I just think if religion was 'that' powerful in our politics Tony Abbott would be our prime minister, not a wedless childless atheist woman (more power to us and I support that!) but I hardly think she's the churches spokesperson.
    When she says she would not vote to change the marriage act, I take it on her word that she doesn't believe in it with religion being a non factor in her reasons. I don't think she cares much for marriage full stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think we need to look at the big picture. All around the world, even the most progressive countries haven't legalised gay marriage. The US did in one state for about a month and it was withdrawn. I don't think it's that Gillard doesn't support it. It's that she doesn't have the courage to be one of the first countries in the world to do it. There's a clear status quo world wide and I think she plans to stick to that. I think she fears the backlash from the conservative voters and given she is holding on my a thread as it is, she's not wanting to P off the religious labor vote and have those people vote lib.

It's more about self preservation and blending in with the rest of the world than disagreeing with it IMO

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (25-03-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Des, politics is all about interests, negotiation and donations. Much of what goes on is never seen or heard by the public so people only see the face of the party and lay all the blame upon them for either doing something or not doing something.

Policy decisions have a lot of influences from all over the place so it isn't about the one issue when it comes down to it. Should be, but isn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by elleseetee; 25-03-2012 at 23:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleseetee View Post
    Sorry if this offends anyone but I agree. The day that two women or two men have inter.course and create a baby is when I will be 100% for gay marriage. Any same sex couple at all. I understand some hetero couples are infertile. That's got nothing to do with it. History tells me that somewhere along the line there have been a few billion males and females making babies.
    I haven't read all of the replies but..... Say what..?!?!? What the fo' shizzle nizzle has making babies got to do
    with having the right to marry...??

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Benji  (25-03-2012),delirium  (25-03-2012),Deserama  (25-03-2012),FiveInTheBed  (25-03-2012),Hootenanny  (25-03-2012),jbr  (25-03-2012),lambjam  (25-03-2012),MilkingMaid  (25-03-2012),MissPoss  (25-03-2012),peoniesarepretty  (25-03-2012),shelle65  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think we need to look at the big picture. All around the world, even the most progressive countries haven't legalised gay marriage. The US did in one state for about a month and it was withdrawn. I don't think it's that Gillard doesn't support it. It's that she doesn't have the courage to be one of the first countries in the world to do it. There's a clear status quo world wide and I think she plans to stick to that. I think she fears the backlash from the conservative voters and given she is holding on my a thread as it is, she's not wanting to P off the religious labor vote and have those people vote lib.

It's more about self preservation and blending in with the rest of the world than disagreeing with it IMO
    ^^ this entirely. I doubt she actually disagrees with it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by elleseetee; 25-03-2012 at 23:04.