View Poll Results: Do you support the rights of same sex couples to marry?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

169 89.42%
  • No

20 10.58%
Closed Thread
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Imagine this conversation if we were using the term 'wedlock' in the place of 'marriage'.
    [they mean the same thing )

..I'd be sitting at home with my three Bas tard [Also once called 'whoresons'] children they wouldn't be entitled to any inheritance, and they'd be looked down on in society as second class citizens.

Oh how times change things!

Yay for tradition hey!?
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 25-03-2012 at 13:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Imagine this conversation if we were using the term 'wedlock' in the place of 'marriage'.
    [they mean the same thing )

..I'd be sitting at home with my three Bas tard children they wouldn't be entitled to any inheritance, and they'd be looked down on in society as second class citizens.

Oh how times change things!

Well I'm a divorcee so my older four would be Bas tards by default and the younger two would be bas tards too. And as for inheritances - well....good luck with that, I guess you actually have to have money LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Marriage being made a religious ceremony has nothing to do with God. The ceremony was invented by man for his own purposes. The bible never ever tells us to have a ceremony. God never says that we're not married until we have a ceremony. God never tells us that we have to be married by law in order to be married before God. This is a man made contruct passed on through TRADITION. And everyone just blindly believes it. If you want to know God's definition of marriage, look in Genesis and again in Matthew 11. God defines what marriage is....according to God NOT MAN!!!!

Ooooh - so close.

But I believe your last sentence should read, "MAN defines what marriage is....according to God NOT MAN!!!"

..but each to their own hey??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Ooooh - so close.

But I believe your last sentence should read, "MAN defines what marriage is....according to God NOT MAN!!!"

..but each to their own hey??
    No I believe I have it right the first time. If man defined what marriage was according to God then there wouldn't be an issue, but they don't. They define it according to man's traditions then they pass it on as gospel when it is not. Then they judge others by this 'tradition' (cermonies/law).

And just to clarify - I'm getting married in 3 months according to the LAW. I believe that I am already married in the eyes of God. My marriage was between me and my husband and my God - no one else has had their filthy hands in it. I'm only getting married (by law) firstly so as to make a public declaration (which I believe is where the ceremony first originated), secondly so that I can change my name to his because I hate it and I want to have the same name as at lease SOME of my children and thirdly so that we can have a party!!!!! But as far as I'm concerned this 'legal' union that I'm about to do is for my own purposes and certainly not what God has ordered for his people to do.

No saying, by any means, that getting legally married is wrong, it is not. But it is wrong to judge others on something that isn't even what God has ordained. So if the gay community want to get married....then it has no bearing whatsoever on religious people's marriage between them and their God and is most definetly no more 'wrong' than any of us getting married.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh I wasn't attempting to correct you Des,

I actually agree with most of what you wrote - but I personally would have changed that little bit at the end...

That's all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think like most things there was probably a 'version' of marriage before organised religion, although from what i have read it was more related to property rights than love, and then religion made it's way in as a form of 'control', saving the sinners from lustfully procreating. You cannot discuss gay marriage without discussing the influence religion has over the current debate, I am sure there are bigots out there who are not religious but even they still use that stupid argument that "god made adam and eve, not adam and steve" (insert guffaw here).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a galaxy but cant see a poll. Yes I support it. just because someone is gay doesnt make them an alien. They should get the same rights as straight people. Just like white people are not better than dark people we are all equal. (i am a white female married to a man just so people know) equal rights for all !

Sent from my GT-S5670 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If we're talking legally, religion shouldn't even enter the discussion - religion and law are supposed to be separated here.

I do support the rights of gay people to marry because they should be treated as equal, adult Australians.

Marriage is not about procreation. We're talking about the legal contract here which does not have any conditions in relation to having children.

If I marry and don't have children with my future DH we will still have a kick a$$ marriage because we love and cherish each other.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (25-03-2012),share a book  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely!

I know some people worry expending the laws opens up marriages to be than polygamist or animals etc

There is only a few words that need to be changed from "between man and women" to "between two people"