View Poll Results: Do you support the rights of same sex couples to marry?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

169 89.42%
  • No

20 10.58%
Closed Thread
Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Seeing that 'marriage' was aound before religion got involved how does that figure with your first comment

What about people who don't want or can't have kids, is their marriage any less real?

What about people who marry, divorce, get married again and divorce and so on - are their marriages more or less real than a gay union?

How about people who don't get married and procreate - i am not married, not engaged I just live with my partner. We have kids - are you saying our union cannot be soulful?

How can you say that a gay couple cannot have the highest soulful experience?

You are right though, it makes not one iota of difference to your marriage and cannot ever.
    Marriage is a religious ceremony. Not sure what version of marriage was around before god.

I didn't say everyone has to get married to have children... That is an entirely different debate. I was merely defining my view of marriage.

That people choose to have children outside of marriage plays no part in the discussion should gay people get married. It's about what is marriage? To me it's about two souls coming together to create life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    I don't take offense and mean none myself. Infertile couples don't know they are necessarily infertile and have technology available to them to create life together. I mean together, not via donation.

I understand that this is not the definition that most people use to define marriage.

I know this is going to open a huge can of worms. I don't mean it to get ugly. I have no problem with current ivf laws or redefining marriage. However it's not my view of marriage.

So in answering the op's question by my definition, gay people will never truly be married. Perhaps by law of the land they will be but not by the sanctity of union as they are unable to fulfill the soulful experience of procreating together.
    And the married couples who make an active choice to remain childless?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE=Alexander Beetle;6459913]And the married couples who make an active choice to remain childless?[/

We are here with freedom of choice. I think they are missing a massive ingredient of marriage but that is the choice they make, and for the most part for very valid reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Marriage is a religious ceremony. .
    I disagree, marriage is a legal contract of sorts. Most weddings don't happen in churches anymore, most are married by JP's and celebrants. They *can* be a religious ceremony but that is not a perquisite
    Last edited by delirium; 25-03-2012 at 13:24. Reason: celebrant not civil servant lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post

She's vocal about being atheist, do you think that's just for show and really she's afraid of going against religion? You did say you haven't seen not 1 person be against gay marriage who doesn't use religion, and I thought that was abit extreme as I know plenty who don't give ahoot about religion, yet still opose gay marriage. yet religion is the only factor to blame for some people which I think.My point was entirely missed in the 1st place, you can discuss religion and perhaps discuss parts of the bible that you disagree with, I don't object that and to think religion isn't a main factor that alot of people use is naive (and I'm not). Yet people who are arguing for gay marraige are using religion as their only argument, and people who are for it, even religious, have to ignore the actual issue and defend their religion instead. You don't have to hate on religion to get a point across because you'll lose support from people who would otherwise have supported gay marriage. There is a difference with using religion in a discussion with that person and telling they're wrong, I do it myself, but hating religion and 'blaming' it goes beyond.
    I don't hate religious people, but I am beginning to hate religion with a fervor. And threads like this part of the reason - where my non-belief is being used as a reason for my acceptance and promotion of topics and human rights issues like gay marriage, whereas people cannot accept that I support gay marriage and topics like this as I believe that it is the right thing and not because I don't subscribe to their POV.

My hatred of religion is also in part born of horrible personal experience but people hiding behind and using religion to be biggoted just makes my beliefs stronger.

Yes, Ms Gillard is an atheist and is as outwardly open it as Abott likes to use his religious views as a platform. But being an atheist is politically okay these days and being openly supportive is not (yet) politically okay.
    Last edited by Mod-Nomsie; 25-03-2012 at 17:43. Reason: referring to edited text

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've met an athiest who was against gay marriage and their reason went something about AC/DC and by then I lost interest so didn't care.

If, according to the polls, gay marriage is supported by most people in this country then why hasn't it been passed yet? I don't think it has anything to do with religion, I think it has something to do with Julia Goulia, who is athiest, not having enough balls to do what the majority of autralians want.

Does it matter if joe blow down the road opposes gay marriage because of religion? He has the right to not agree with it doesn't he? Or are we all into mind control now? We must dictate what people believe so that we all have one mind! Sounds very 1984ish!

Religious folk have the right to their opinion, but why are they being heard above the MAJORITY of australians who feel differently (religious or not)? What is Julia Goulia afraid of here? Is the mafia going to get her? Is the pope going to ring her up and blast her? Is the church going to get mad and stomp their feet?

I don't get it. I think the problem is Julia is a gutless wonder and needs to stand up to the plate and just get it done already then all this argument can be over and the religious anti gay people can go home and cry in their breakfasts.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (25-03-2012),PurpleButterfly4  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't vote but my answer is a definite yes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Marriage is a religious ceremony. Not sure what version of marriage was around before god.

I didn't say everyone has to get married to have children... That is an entirely different debate. I was merely defining my view of marriage.

That people choose to have children outside of marriage plays no part in the discussion should gay people get married. It's about what is marriage? To me it's about two souls coming together to create life.
    Marriage is not by definition a religious ceremony. Your marriage may have been a religious ceremony. Marriage is a type union recognized under law. In order to conduct a marriage a person must be a qualified celebrant. Religious leaders can only conduct a married if they are qualified by law to do so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Marriage being made a religious ceremony has nothing to do with God. The ceremony was invented by man for his own purposes. The bible never ever tells us to have a ceremony. God never says that we're not married until we have a ceremony. God never tells us that we have to be married by law in order to be married before God. This is a man made contruct passed on through TRADITION. And everyone just blindly believes it. If you want to know God's definition of marriage, look in Genesis and again in Matthew 11. God defines what marriage is....according to God NOT MAN!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Marriage is not by definition a religious ceremony. Your marriage may have been a religious ceremony. Marriage is a type union recognized under law. In order to conduct a marriage a person must be a qualified celebrant. Religious leaders can only conduct a married if they are qualified by law to do so.
    This would be correct.