View Poll Results: Do you support the rights of same sex couples to marry?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

169 89.42%
  • No

20 10.58%
Closed Thread
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Temple Emmanuel in Sydney held the first commitment ceremony for 2 men in 2008 in Australia, so if they can get past the ancient passages in the old testament I'm sure over time so can others!

( I think there are gay friendly Christian churches as well?)
    I thinks its actually healthy to question religion ( especially when human rights are concerned) if we keep questioning/arguing/telling our ministers/preists/rabbis etc that we want it changed they will have to listen, as lets be honest I'm pretty sure with every generation church attendance is getting lower and lower !
    Yes yes, but how about we start with the marriage acts and get politicians to come aboard instead of ancient religious institutions. Do you see the vatican or orthodox christians which haven't changed their principles in 2000+years changing their laws before parliament does? I certainly don't, and perhaps one day, one day they will, if we wait and battle for that we'll be waiting a looooong time yet for equal rights. Kind of like waiting for churches to spend their money curing world hunger.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Yes but to condemn every person from every religion based on how a few people feel is not going to help. There is a huge push to try to get people understanding not all Muslims are terrorists, and not all terrorists are Muslims. Generalising and tarnishing everyone so broadly only causes pain and anger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    If someone is using religion to say why they're against it, how does (for example) telling them their religion is bad, wrong, they shouldn't believe the bible, and some even tell them how much they hate religion, how it should be banned or erradicated full stop. Do you think that helps the person understand how this is a humans issue? or will they shut down, ignore you, feel more determined to go against it because they have to defend their religion and feel threatened?
    People I know like parents, older people who are generally more religious and less understanding/old school will listen to you and agree if you come with an approach that doesn't bash their religion and way of life, but explain how this affects gay people, their rights, and how they're being discriminated against. If you use arguments that show how wrong this is, minus religion, they'll actually understand you more and agree with you.
    You don't need to agree or take it on board but this is coming from people like myself who support the cause yet do have religion in their life. I will not support the speaker whose speach is aimed at religious hate, think it's wrong and the cause of xyz. I would however support the person who talks about the human rights and discrimination issue because that's what resonates with me.

My point is, don't make an uneccesary enemey, because not all 'religious' people are against gay marriage, but won't support it if they feel their religion is being threatened. If someone is using a stick, don't use the same stick.
    Clearly I am missing whatever you two are seeing in regards to this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Top post, previous page.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Top post, previous page.
    the youtube clip?

Colour me confused, I don't see what is wrong with that.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't really see what religion has to do with the marriage act.

I'm not religious, but I do acknowledge the right of a religion to impose its own rules and standards on its members. If you actually believe that a certain book or set of rules was created by a higher power, then you can't really go editing it, can you?

The way I see it, you either believe in a religion and conform to it, or you don't. If you're not happy with a church's stance on gays then perhaps it's not the right church for you.

However, what really grinds my gears is when said churches seek to impose their values on the rest of the country. If you don't want same-sex couples in your congregation to marry, have at it... but leave the rest of the country out of it. It's just unacceptable.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (25-03-2012),FiveInTheBed  (25-03-2012),MagicMud  (04-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When people say, 'I can't fathom that people think this is wrong..' or 'I can't believe people think this way' in regards to opposing same sex marriage.
    - these people aren't THINKING for themselves, they are regurgitating words from an acient txt that has been manipulated by their 'shepard'.
    Simple as that.
    ..and no, I am not going to apologise if that 'offends' - because I am saying in defense of all the people I know and love, both on BH and in my life that have had to deal with these 'views' for their entire lives.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, the one below that. Anyway my point is, this is a social issue, and if a MINORITY of religious BH members feel that it is wrong, it reflects on them as individuals, hiding their homophobic views behind religion. Being homophobic, sexist, racist, stands alone no matter how people want to paint it.

My church accepts single parents, unmarried parents, gay couples, they do not descriminate.

People are homophobic because they are homophobic. Any other excuse is just a flimsy excuse.

Look at the results. I would say more than half the members on here are in some way religious, yet nowhere near that amount feel that gay marriage is not on. Also, people who are not religious can hold homophobic views.

Please no more reference to religion in this SOCIAL ISSUE thread that is really about politics.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I'm giving my perspective on how I think the cause could be better argued for and making people see the issues of discrimination rather than having to defend their religion overall.
    You don't have to agree that's just my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think, unfortunately, the church has "power" over the politicians as in they don't want to come across as opposing the church so I think until the majority of religious leaders at least won't oppose same sex marriage the politicians won't touch it ( I read somewhere recently only 8% of Australians regularly attend church)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    'When people say, 'I can't fathom that people think this is wrong..' or 'I can't believe people think this way' in regards to opposing same sex marriage.
    - these people aren't THINKING for themselves, they are regurgitating words from an acient txt that has been manipulated by their 'shepard'.
    Simple as that.
    ..and no, I am not going to apologise if that 'offends' - because I am saying in defense of all the people I know and love, both on BH and in my life that have had to deal with these 'views' for their entire lives.
    '

Sorry, the one below that. Anyway my point is, this is a social issue, and if a MINORITY of religious BH members feel that it is wrong, it reflects on them as individuals, hiding their homophobic views behind religion. Being homophobic, sexist, racist, stands alone no matter how people want to paint it.

My church accepts single parents, unmarried parents, gay couples, they do not descriminate.

People are homophobic because they are homophobic. Any other excuse is just a flimsy excuse.

Look at the results. I would say more than half the members on here are in some way religious, yet nowhere near that amount feel that gay marriage is not on. Also, people who are not religious can hold homophobic views.

Please no more reference to religion in this SOCIAL ISSUE thread that is really about politics.
    I know that poster personally and count her as a close friend. The conclusions drawn about her are 100% wrong.

Unfortunately religion involves itself into politics constantly so it is very difficult to separate the two in these types of topics as the religious institutions are vocal about their opposition. However, it is the institutions rather than individual religious people. If I have something negative to say about the way religion involves itself in the lives of the general public, I am not saying anything negative about the individuals who follow that religion, just the religious institution.
    Last edited by Mod-Myztik; 25-03-2012 at 11:03.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have avoided this topic as I knew it would turn into a "religion shouldn't be in politics" debate. I have glossed over a few posts and am choosing to ignore the argument and just put forth my opinion, otherwise I know I'll get frustrated and I'm already frustrated enough right now..

I am Christian. I feel very connected to God. I believe that people who are gay should have the same right to marry as those who are not gay. I am not saying the bible is wrong, I believe that God called us to love each other without judgement. If you want to follow every part of the bible to the letter, then when you look at someone lustfully you should gouge out your eyes. That's as far as I want to take it from a religion point of view.

I have a niece who has been in a same sex relationship for 4 years. She and her partner are extremely caring towards each other and I honestly couldn't see them with anyone else. They are young now, but want the opportunity to marry in the future. They are responsible and have just bought a house together. I don't think they would sully the sanctity of marriage. I think enough heterosexual couples have done that...

I would not love my child any less if they were gay. I would be fearful because I know how much they will be judged by society and that would make their life that much more difficult. I want my children to live a happy, stable life. Forcing them to love someone based on their gender doesn't equal that. I know a lot of my friends and family disagree with me on this issue, but that's ok. I'm not going to base my thoughts on what the majority of people around me think. I have my own mind.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissPoss For This Useful Post:

delirium  (25-03-2012),GothChick  (25-03-2012),KnockKnockPenny  (25-03-2012)