+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone else not good at being a housewife??

I need help!!! I have always been very messy and unorganized and just plain lazy! But since having kids instead of it getting better it has just gotten 10 times worse as they are the messiest creatures on earth (probably my fault).

I have tried to put a routine in place so I do the dishes at this time, and do the washing at that time but nup I just don't do it. I can't physically make myself get off the couch and do anything I just sit there staring at the mess wishing it would clean itself. I know I have iron problems which gives me low energy levels but I don't blame that I just blame pure laziness. Some days i wake up with a burst of energy and get stuck in and get ut all done but most days i wake up and just want to do nothing at all.

How do I make myself unlazy?? anyone else like this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm a shocking housekeeper - not because I'm bad at it, but I hate it! It's so mundane and thankless. I was begging to get back to work when I was a SAHM.

I don't sit down until everything is done if that helps I get home from work, cook dinner, clean up, do laundry, hang it out, do whatever else needs doing THEN sit down. It's a great feeling being able to sit down after a long day and not have to worry about stuff that needs doing.

Kids can be a pain as the mess is constant, but maybe even try to get the major stuff done before sitting down, then fold laundry during the ads while you're watching tv.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Addiesmum  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a crap housewife. I am not lazy, but I am very disorganised and pretty time-poor, and I get tired and bored cleaning up. My house is clean, as in I can't let the dishes go, I don't let the dirty washing pile up, and the toilets have to be clean and spills etc cleaned up, but we always have about 3 baskets of clean washing sitting around waiting to be folded, toys, clothes and paperwork all over the place, DVDs/CDs/books etc etc everywhere except where they should be, just 'stuff' everywhere. I also don't sweep and mop nearly enough for someone with three kids, but can get away with it with floor boards, I really only do the kitchen regularly because its food and stuff which I think is gross leaving it. So yeah, our house is always a mess.

I am not too hard on myself though because I do a hell of a lot more than anyone else in this house, I get the kids to school on time, I study part time, my husband doesn't help at all, my kids eat nutritious meals which is much more a priority to me than a clean house, and I spend time with my kids which is also more important.

Don't be too hard on yourself

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

heeeeerekittykitty  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I'm a shocking housekeeper - not because I'm bad at it, but I hate it! It's so mundane and thankless. I was begging to get back to work when I was a SAHM.

I don't sit down until everything is done if that helps I get home from work, cook dinner, clean up, do laundry, hang it out, do whatever else needs doing THEN sit down. It's a great feeling being able to sit down after a long day and not have to worry about stuff that needs doing.

Kids can be a pain as the mess is constant, but maybe even try to get the major stuff done before sitting down, then fold laundry during the ads while you're watching tv.
    Very good suggestion there was one day the other week where I got home from dropping my daughters off at Kindy and I did not turn the tv or computer on and I got sooo much done. It's the self control I lack, if I clean one day I'm like stuff it I'll do it tomorrow but then by tomorrow it looks like a stye and i don't wont to touch touch the mess.

The kids just make me give up as once I've cleaned one room they are in the other messing it right back up again. I am at the point where I wish we owned nothing but a couch and tv. That way they have noting to spread over the entire floor (they will spread what ever they can get their hands on (contents from bookshelves/fridge/cupboard/laundry toy boxes)

Aghh I just wish I could take a motivation pill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK I'm going to admit something kinda embarrassing, I just bought myself an apron.
    Full on 1950's housewife style.
    So now when I put that on I have to clean, it kind of feels like a uniform.
    I also use the timer of the oven & reward myself. So if I clean the kitchen for 30 mins, I can sit down with a tea & read 1 chapter of my book, or something like that.
    But I am insanely messy & unorganised, always have been. I have just had to learn to accept it. DP has learnt that if he wants thing at a higher standard than they are, then he can do that himself.

Just a quick thought, I have trouble with energy levels & motivation too, but when I take a mega b vitamin everyday, I feel much better & not so overwhelmed.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sakabla For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (23-03-2012),Rutabaga  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I'm a crap housewife. I am not lazy, but I am very disorganised and pretty time-poor, and I get tired and bored cleaning up. My house is clean, as in I can't let the dishes go, I don't let the dirty washing pile up, and the toilets have to be clean and spills etc cleaned up, but we always have about 3 baskets of clean washing sitting around waiting to be folded, toys, clothes and paperwork all over the place, DVDs/CDs/books etc etc everywhere except where they should be, just 'stuff' everywhere. I also don't sweep and mop nearly enough for someone with three kids, but can get away with it with floor boards, I really only do the kitchen regularly because its food and stuff which I think is gross leaving it. So yeah, our house is always a mess.

I am not too hard on myself though because I do a hell of a lot more than anyone else in this house, I get the kids to school on time, I study part time, my husband doesn't help at all, my kids eat nutritious meals which is much more a priority to me than a clean house, and I spend time with my kids which is also more important.

Don't be too hard on yourself
    Unfortunately I need to be hard on myself as most of the things you said above I don't do. I don't study or work, my hubby helps a little and i hate cooking so only feed the kids what i can muster up. the kitchen is the bit I hate most don't know why but I hate doing dishes and I hate cooking. I swear I was meant to be a man (not saying men don't do housework) because I would so rather work everyday then be a housewife and look after kids, I just don't think I was programmed that way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you are not keen on cleaning then one thing you can do to decrease the mess is de-clutter so that there is less stuff in the house that can create a mess.

I don't love cleaning but I hate sitting in a mess so it is simply a case of it has to get one. I work part time so I have set days that I do certain things, eg Monday's are ironing day, Fridays I clean the whole house, the weekend I do washing etc.

If you can afford it get a cleaner - then you only have to maintain it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sakabla View Post
    OK I'm going to admit something kinda embarrassing, I just bought myself an apron.
    Full on 1950's housewife style.
    So now when I put that on I have to clean, it kind of feels like a uniform.
    I also use the timer of the oven & reward myself. So if I clean the kitchen for 30 mins, I can sit down with a tea & read 1 chapter of my book, or something like that.
    But I am insanely messy & unorganised, always have been. I have just had to learn to accept it. DP has learnt that if he wants thing at a higher standard than they are, then he can do that himself.

Just a quick thought, I have trouble with energy levels & motivation too, but when I take a mega b vitamin everyday, I feel much better & not so overwhelmed.
    Ohh thanks for the embarrassing tip!! I am going to try it!!!! I'll try anything and also will try the vitamin as I feel it might be some imbalance as somedays I'm full of beans and others I just want curl up in a ball and stay that way all day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I second the PP about not sitting down till you finish. Also - are you a morning or evening person? I am a morning person so I get up 30min earlier a day and cram as much housework as I can in that time. I usually can get dinner started (Slow cooker or oven), one load in the machine and give one room a tidy up. So each room gets done roughly twice a week. After bub has gone to bed, the whole downstairs (tiled) gets swept and mopped (and whilst its drying I can watch tv and fold clothes )

another hint with laundry - as you take it off the line fold in and place into correct piles. For example - I fold all DD's pants/jeans/shorts first into the basket as they go in her top drawer. Then shirts/tops cos they go in the next etc. Then the next person's clothes...
    That way you take the basket to the room immediately and put it away.

or hang them up on hangers and you can just slot them into your cupboard when they are dry. saves on ironing too as well.

Can you make your kids tidy up? No tv till its put away etc. My 19mth old DD helps put away all toys before bath. Its become a game now - we put on a kids CD and try to get it done before the song ends.

also maybe you need a cull. get rid of stuff that is excess and roster toys. Remove all toys/books/games and divide them into 3 or 4 boxes. Then rotate the boxes. That way there is less to clean up on a given day and kiddies will be entertained by 'new stuff'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was like that too, no motivation and the house messy. I just took full advantage of the time when DD went down for a nap in the morning. I didn't turn on anything that could distract me, tv/pc, and it works a treat. I get dinner prepared, bottles done, house clean and relax for the rest of the day. If I don't have time the first round of naps, I wait until the second and use the time DD is awake to get her fed, entertained for a bit then relax until it's back to bed with her. Then once she's asleep again, I finish it all off