+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 9 wk old only day sleeps in baby bjorn

During the day I can only get my 9 week old to sleep by putting him in the baby bjorn and walking around the house, or going for a walk outside. If I walk around just holding him, he won't sleep. Once he is asleep in the Bjorn he will sleep from half an hour up to 2-3 hours occasionally, usually about 45 mins.
    He used to be able to fall asleep in his swing for 3 hours but he doesn't like that anymore. Occasionally he will feed and fall asleep on me too. But if I put him down after he is properly asleep he will wake up after 5 minutes. I try putting a blanket on him cause I thought he might be waking due to not having my body warmth, but he still wakes. The pram doesn't work either.
    At night I can get him to sleep by holding him and walking
    or jiggling and also can feed to sleep and he will go in the bassinet fine from about 9-11pm.

Is there anything you do to get baby to sleep on their own in the day? Any tips for me?

My mum suggested putting him down on his front as she said that's what she used to do years ago and at the time midwives recommended front sleeping and not back sleeping due to choking risk. I told her I wasn't comfortable with that tho as its not recommended now due to sids.
    Last edited by Luvmydogs; 23-03-2012 at 13:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    wrap a warmed heat wheat bag in an old shirt of yours and place it next to them in their bassinette/cot. Might work/might not.

My bub slept all her daytime sleeps in the carrier till 4/5mths. then miraculously started doing 1.5-2hr stretches in her cot at 5.5/6mths.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Luvmydogs  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd probably invest in a sling or carrier that will be better for you and bub to use in the long term. Ergos come highly recommended. IMO there is nothing wrong about a baby that wants to be with their mother all the time, it's natural instinct really. I know it's frustrating, but I'd embrace it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Luvmydogs  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mind too much but I was worried it was bad for him somehow. I was thinking about an ergo but I'm not sure of how it's better. The Bjorn does give me a sore back tho. Thanks guys :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydogs View Post
    I don't mind too much but I was worried it was bad for him somehow. I was thinking about an ergo but I'm not sure of how it's better. The Bjorn does give me a sore back tho. Thanks guys :-)
    There's more support with the ergo so the weight is evenly distributed even on your hips, plus the position baby is in when in the ergo is a lot better and more natural than the way a baby hangs in the bjorn. It's ergonomically designed where the bjorn isn't. Something to look into, anyway, and I'm sure a few ladies here might pop in with some more info for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Luvmydogs  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My youngest would only fall asleep in the hug-a-bub. During the day I would just leave her in it, it was quite comfortable and secure, supported her head really well and I could move around quite freely to get various jobs done around the house - could easily bend over to pack/unpack dishwasher, hang clothes on the line etc with out disturbing her. She would sleep her for 2 hours, compared to 20 minutes in her cot.

We did wonder if we were going to have trouble as she got older and harder to carry, but gradually she got better, from about 4 - 5 months I would let her settle and sleep in the hug-a-bub for about 1/2 hour or so and then attempt to transfer her to the cot. Sometimes she would stay asleep other times I had to put her back in. As she got older she did get better at self settling and by 7 months I could feed her and put her to bed without any problems.

I found the ergo too loose when they where still quite small, the hug-a-bub is much better for small babies without much head control. From about 7 months the ergo was the better option.

Goodluck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

Luvmydogs  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD wouldn't nap anywhere but on me when she was about 9 weeks, so I invested in the hug a bub so she could sleep in that. We now have an ergo because the hug a bub doesn't hold her weight so well because I'm crap at tying it. She still gets a good sleep in the Ergo.

We have a Bjorn as well, but as Bell&Bug said, the Ergo is better for bub for longer periods because they sort of sit in it as opposed to hanging in it (if that makes sense?). I also like it because it has a hood thing, so I can pull it over and she knows it's nap time.

For naps now (she's 5 months), I feed her lying down on my bed and then move away once she's asleep or we pat her to sleep on our bed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Luvmydogs  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a hug a bub too, but sounds like the ergo is the way to go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got mine secondhand from a Baby and Kids Market and there might be some on ebay if you didn't want to pay for a brand new one cause I think they're about $150.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Luvmydogs  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    just be careful of fakes on ebay