+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Seeking info regarding adoption from nz to aust

hi,
    As title suggests I am seeking info for a friend who is considering adopting within family, the family being in nz though and she is located in qld.

Any experiences or other info appreciated.

I am wondering what sort of time frame is involved with getting something like this approved, costs involved, the process in a whole, thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kittentas View Post
    hi,
    As title suggests I am seeking info for a friend who is considering adopting within family, the family being in nz though and she is located in qld.

Any experiences or other info appreciated.

I am wondering what sort of time frame is involved with getting something like this approved, costs involved, the process in a whole, thank you.
    You should advise your friend to look into getting a kinship care order... Much quicker and less costly.. You can then adopt once the child is in aus after a certain amount of time I believe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippy the Hippo View Post
    You should advise your friend to look into getting a kinship care order... Much quicker and less costly.. You can then adopt once the child is in aus after a certain amount of time I believe.
    Thanks for fast reply, where would I find more info on kinship care order ?
    how costly is it to do the adoption? just after an idea as I have no idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I recently assisted a client with this type of situation and as adoption is such a long, difficult and costly process we got around it by filing Consent Orders in the Family Court of Australia giving her full parental responsibility for the child. The Judge did speak with the birth parents and my client before signing off on the Orders but it was only a brief discussion and he then signed them.

It pretty much has the same effects as adoption except it does not list my client as the mother of the child of the birth certificate.

Your friend and the birth parents should get legal advice about the best options for them and whether it should be done in NZ or whether it can be done in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    I recently assisted a client with this type of situation and as adoption is such a long, difficult and costly process we got around it by filing Consent Orders in the Family Court of Australia giving her full parental responsibility for the child. The Judge did speak with the birth parents and my client before signing off on the Orders but it was only a brief discussion and he then signed them.

It pretty much has the same effects as adoption except it does not list my client as the mother of the child of the birth certificate.

Your friend and the birth parents should get legal advice about the best options for them and whether it should be done in NZ or whether it can be done in Australia.
    Than you for your reply, great advice.

My friend is also wondering if she will be eligible for the paid maternity allowance while she is off work caring for the baby, but from what I've found she will be eligible once adoption processed but it sounds like this will take a few years, a long process.

Any more feedback appreciated, thanks all