+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    gold coast
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0

    Default Seeking info regarding adoption from nz to aust

    hi,
    As title suggests I am seeking info for a friend who is considering adopting within family, the family being in nz though and she is located in qld.

    Any experiences or other info appreciated.

    I am wondering what sort of time frame is involved with getting something like this approved, costs involved, the process in a whole, thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Other side of the screen!
    Posts
    3,674
    Thanks
    872
    Thanked
    870
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kittentas View Post
    hi,
    As title suggests I am seeking info for a friend who is considering adopting within family, the family being in nz though and she is located in qld.

    Any experiences or other info appreciated.

    I am wondering what sort of time frame is involved with getting something like this approved, costs involved, the process in a whole, thank you.
    You should advise your friend to look into getting a kinship care order... Much quicker and less costly.. You can then adopt once the child is in aus after a certain amount of time I believe.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    gold coast
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippy the Hippo View Post
    You should advise your friend to look into getting a kinship care order... Much quicker and less costly.. You can then adopt once the child is in aus after a certain amount of time I believe.
    Thanks for fast reply, where would I find more info on kinship care order ?
    how costly is it to do the adoption? just after an idea as I have no idea.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,779
    Thanks
    327
    Thanked
    940
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I recently assisted a client with this type of situation and as adoption is such a long, difficult and costly process we got around it by filing Consent Orders in the Family Court of Australia giving her full parental responsibility for the child. The Judge did speak with the birth parents and my client before signing off on the Orders but it was only a brief discussion and he then signed them.

    It pretty much has the same effects as adoption except it does not list my client as the mother of the child of the birth certificate.

    Your friend and the birth parents should get legal advice about the best options for them and whether it should be done in NZ or whether it can be done in Australia.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    gold coast
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    I recently assisted a client with this type of situation and as adoption is such a long, difficult and costly process we got around it by filing Consent Orders in the Family Court of Australia giving her full parental responsibility for the child. The Judge did speak with the birth parents and my client before signing off on the Orders but it was only a brief discussion and he then signed them.

    It pretty much has the same effects as adoption except it does not list my client as the mother of the child of the birth certificate.

    Your friend and the birth parents should get legal advice about the best options for them and whether it should be done in NZ or whether it can be done in Australia.
    Than you for your reply, great advice.

    My friend is also wondering if she will be eligible for the paid maternity allowance while she is off work caring for the baby, but from what I've found she will be eligible once adoption processed but it sounds like this will take a few years, a long process.

    Any more feedback appreciated, thanks all


 

Similar Threads

  1. Couple seeking info on sperm donors
    By tesstara in forum Non-IVF fertility assistance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-10-2012, 04:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Transition into Parenthood / Calmbirth Sydney
Julie's Transition into Parenthood and Calmbirth courses for pregnant couples will get you ready, prepared and organised for the wonderful birth of your beautiful new baby. Birth Support Doula training provided in 2017 open to all. Call 0401 265 530
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!