+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pulled Elbow

My 2 year 4 month old DD suffered a pulled Elbow on Wednesday night playing with Dad on the bed.
    We went to the hospital, but it wasn't relocated. They thought it was, and it may have been and popped out again, so we went back yesterday morning and they relocated it, again.
    Her arm is still sore, although they say this is from the soft tissue damage due to it being out for a while.
    Has anyone else had this injury happen? They say it is a very common injury in kids under 5 as they are so flexible. It has happened once before when she was holding Dads hand and dropped straight to the ground, in a hissy fit.
    She is not using her arm that much, and says it it is sore, but she could be remembering the pain from when it was out and it could be the soft tissue damage. They say this can take a week. She is doing things with the arm that she could not possibly do with a pulled elbow so we are happy it is in place.
    Any experiences shared would be great.
    Thanks,
    Di

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughter had the same thing at about the same age, my Dad was swinging her around by the arms and it popped out. Didn't know what was wrong and took her to the hospital where they popped it back in on the spot. They told me that until the age of 5 the muscles haven't grown to hold it in, so it is very common for it to pop out.

DD was fine within seconds of it being fixed and she had no pain afterwards - she pretty much forgot the whole thing.

It seems unusual that your daughter would still find it sore, although the explanation about tissue damage makes sense.

Hope she is fully recovered soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A bit different, but my DH has recently dislocated hs shoulder. It was out for hours and he suffered muscle damage. They said he'd be sore for 3 months and would need weekly physio. Children heal faster and bounce back better but I would still expect it to be sore for a while. I'd go see a GP to assess how she's recovering and see if there are any exercises that could help.

Its certainly not a fun thing to go through or witness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ladies. The last time she did it, it went straight back in and she was right as rain within a few minutes.
    We will keep a careful eye on it and see how she goes. She is not complaining at all, just guarding her arm, I hope after a few days, she forgets about the previous pain and she will return to normal.