+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone - I appreciate the feedback.

I absolutely don't want to tell anyone what they can do in their spare time, I couldn't care less if someone wants to smoke. In fact, one of the relief workers who spent a decent amount of time in the nursery when my bub was in that room was a smoker. I found out by accident one day (ran into her on a Saturday) and we chatted about it. She said she smoked in her breaks at work, but I never once picked up on it and I saw her often. I guess my point is that she obviously followed the practises you guys outline above, whereas the teacher in question may not.

It's such a fine line with child care though. They do such a wonderful job with my DD and as a working mum those fantastic ladies are the one thing that ease my guilt at her having to go. I would hate to do anything to offend anyone. Anyway, I'll suss it out and pick my moment and go from there.

Thanks again - appreciate the advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hang on. So the worker has just arrived? Had she started work yet? I'd she's just starting her shift then she has every right to have a cigarette before hand. You don't know whether she was going to change her clothes etc before she started. In sorry but you are being over the top.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

heeeeerekittykitty  (23-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is quite a lot to make of my post when I didn't say that I didn't know any of those things. I'm absolutely not questioning whether she is allowed to smoke in her spare time, and I think I made that clear in my last post, I'm asking for feedback on whether stinking of smoke means that there are harmful chemicals that can hurt my DD. Fullstop. I just wanted advice on that - I didn't think I needed to elaborate on when and where I was and she was at the time as that really isn't relevant to my question.

Anyway - to make it clearer in case that helps, we arrived at the same time, she was in her uniform, we walked together to my DD's room in the centre, the worker put her bag on a shelf and sat down to play with the kids. So yes, I actually do know whether or not she was going to change her clothes, and unless she just generally stank of smoke and washed her hands prior to arriving in the car park, then she didn't wash her hands either. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can smell cigarettes then you can breathe in the carcinogens. I'm not sure to what extent it affects health. Not a SIDS risk, but can trigger reactions in asthmatics ect. I'm not sure about the risk of smoking related diseases.
    Last edited by speckled; 23-03-2012 at 14:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speckled View Post
    If you can smell cigarettes then you can breathe in the carcinogens. I'm not sure to what extent it affects health. Not a SIDS risk, but can trigger reactions in asthmatics ect. I'm not sure about the risk of smoking related diseases.
    That's my Understanding. If you can smell it then the chemicals are present.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is a link to an article regarding third hand smoke

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0208154651.htm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fichicken View Post
    I was a childcare worker and a smoker. I use to put a different shirt on before going away from the centre to have a ciggie and then I would change back into my work shirt and throughly wash my hands , face and brush my teeth as well before going near the children
    That's how my workmates are, or one of them wears a beanie and trench coat when she smokes then washes her hands and does not smell of it at all.

At one centre, most staff smoked and the smokers had so many breaks while non-smokers didn't even get a 10 minute break at all. One had 5 or 6 breaks for smokes, so 10 to 15 minutes at a time. She stunk all the time of smoke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dislike smoking and the smell but what they do in their own time is their choice, we have policies that state we must be considerate if we smoke and take steps to avoid smelling of it.

I agree it is disgusting but it feels so over-governed to me.

ETA, my mum is a chronic smoker and always smelt of it she did not really smoke around us(we were told to play elsewhere if she was having one) and she has 6 kids all still living.
    Last edited by fairyflossfairy; 23-03-2012 at 20:50.