+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Smokers and toddlers

Just after some reassurance I guess.

I have never allowed smokers around my daughter. Friends and family who smoke know they weren't able to give her a cuddle if they'd had a ciggie. Paranoid maybe, but just the way I've been with her (and nothing against smokers, used to be one myself).

She's 20 months now and goes to child care. I love her centre dearly and the staff are all fantastic! Just realised yesterday that one of her teachers smokes. We arrived at the same time and I smelt it on her strongly. I never have before so perhaps she only smokes on her way in to work.

Should I worry? My base instinct is to worry (about everything!). There shouldn't be any SIDS risks really any longer, right?

Just after some reassurance really. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont have any professional advice sorry, but I am OTT when it comes to smoke around DD, but I wouldnt have too much of a problem with her teacher smelling of it. What I would do is have a quiet word with the *manager maybe, or whoever is in charge and just ask if the child care workers are allowed to smoke on the premises.....because THAT I would have a problem with.

The center I used to work at would make workers go all the way down the road well away from the center if they wanted to smoke on their breaks....but I have heard of a center that allowed workers to have a sneaky one in the staff toilet.. (down the hall from the center).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

ChocMilk  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chemicals from cigarettes stick to clothes, hair and surfaces and is termed 3rd hand smoke. I would absolutely be concerned about the teacher at your daughters childcare. She may not be aware of the dangers of 3rd hand smoke so you need to make sure she washes her hands after smoking and puts a jacket on so she can remove it after. Studies have shown it can lead to health problems especially in babies and toddlers. That said I think they are more concerned with smoking parents in the home, however I think it is really important that the your daughters teacher is aware of the dangers of 3rd hand smoke and what she can do to limit the potential for exposure.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beatnik For This Useful Post:

ChocMilk  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate the advice. Also it's good to hear I'm not the only one who worries about this sort of thing, I'm used to copping a lot of flack for being 'paranoid'!

I'll have a quiet word with the director to ensure safe processes are followed. It's a tricky one with child care, I'd much rather confront friends and family about this kind of thing!

Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a childcare worker and a smoker. I use to put a different shirt on before going away from the centre to have a ciggie and then I would change back into my work shirt and throughly wash my hands , face and brush my teeth as well before going near the children

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fichicken For This Useful Post:

ChocMilk  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    1st and 2nd hand smoke I'd be concerned, but not 3rd, but that's just me. (is it ironic I was an asthmatic child because I was exposed to my fathers 2nd hand smoke? heh >.<)

I spoke to my MCHN about SIDS and smoke and if there's any relation...she said not to worry about it, especially if your child gets plenty of fresh air and isn't exposed to such a risk for a continuous prolonged time

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Russian Netting For This Useful Post:

ChocMilk  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian Netting View Post
    1st and 2nd hand smoke I'd be concerned, but not 3rd, but that's just me. (is it ironic I was an asthmatic child because I was exposed to my fathers 2nd hand smoke? heh >.<)

I spoke to my MCHN about SIDS and smoke and if there's any relation...she said not to worry about it, especially if your child gets plenty of fresh air and isn't exposed to such a risk for a continuous prolonged time
    I'm pretty sure there is a well documented correlation between smoke and SIDS.....

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kezanazz For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-03-2012),ChocMilk  (23-03-2012),mrswhitehouse  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^ but not 3rd hand at that age....
    sorry, i do think it's over the top.
    you can't regulate what people do in their own time if they are teachers, child care workers etc.
    nurses, midwives and ob/gyns are allowed to smoke and they are around newborns which is what the research mainly targets.

the only way the cc worker can harm your toddler by smoking is if she is outside smoking and no-one is watching your kid.

oh, and i don't smoke.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (23-03-2012),ChocMilk  (23-03-2012),fairyflossfairy  (23-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Id mention it to the director. I've worked in centres with carers who smoked and they were not to come in smelling like cigarette smoke. Most of them put on a jacket, or change their top, washed hands, rinsed mouth. I never smelled smoke on any of them. Maybe the carer is unaware is so obviously on her clothes.

My feeling is its unprofessional to smell of cigarette smoke while working with children.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

ChocMilk  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don;t think you are being over the top.

The asthma educator my kids go to has said that anyone who is in close contact with children should at the very least, brush teeth, change shirt and wash up to the elbows with soap and water after having a cigarette.

The skin is very porous, any chemicals left from cigarette smoking can be transferred from the carers hand to a childs skin.

IMO its best to be safe then sorry.

You are paying for a service and you are well within your rights to request that basic hygiene practices are followed.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mum2twinboys For This Useful Post:

ChocMilk  (23-03-2012)