+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a fairly strong view that a name should be at home both at the pub and on the PM. So Lancelot is out for the first reason, and Xaiyedahrnn is out for the second.

My DH one day, pre-PG, came out of the blue and said if we had a girl he wanted to name her my grandma's name. He was so adamant about it, in a way he never had been before, that I agreed. It's not my favourite name ever but I love that he chose it for my family. Her middle name will be my middle name, which is also my other grandma's name.

If we have a boy, we have chosen a first name that we think is just simple, no-nonsense and classic. We always say that you never meet an a.hole called this name! His second name would be the same as DH's middle name, which is after his uncle who died young. I actually don't like the middle name at all but I'm a big fan of middle names being a family name, and there's no more important family name than this one.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Love picking names!

I've just found out I'm pregnant (for the first time) but DH and I have had a boys name picked out for ages. We've decided on Kiel (rhymes with peel) after the place in Germany where DH's father was born.
    Girls names are harder although we both like Ivy and Annika. I also love Enid but DH is yet to be convinced

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a couple of boys' names we loved but we were really vague on girls' names. We went through dozens of baby name books, history books and family trees and although there were plenty we liked there was nothing we loved.

We wanted a name that meant something, whether she was named for a family member, a literary character or a historical figure. We also wanted something that could be abbreviated into a great nickname since like it or not Australians ALWAYS seem to shorten people's names!

DP was talking to friends about our dilemma. He mentioned one of the names on our list, Boudica. (She was a Celtic queen who rebelled against the Romans and burned down London circa 61 CE. DP loves history and I'm an ardent feminist so the name was significant to both of us). One of the women who was present was French and got really excited over the name because 'Bouder' means 'to sulk or pout' in French and is very, very cute because it's like a little girl pouting. So we were sold on that name.

And that was how Boudica got her name. We call her Boo for short, though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am due in 8 weeks & we came by our daughter's name ny accident (before i was pg) my mum has a friend who's ex wife's name is vienna. I loved it so much that i said that will be our girl's name if we have one. Luckily DH agreed but he wants to change the spelling to viAnna, so it's not completely the same as the city in Austria (i think)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We picked DDs name very early on. But for a boy DH's names were, omg lets just was he is a massive geek so lots of comic book and scifi character names

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    We picked DDs name very early on. But for a boy DH's names were, omg lets just was he is a massive geek so lots of comic book and scifi character names
    Haha! BOTH my partner and I are massive geeks. We even bought a book 'Sci Fi Baby Names'. DD nearly got named after a Doctor Who character. What were your partner's preferred names? I'm wondering how many were also on our shortlist!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love Cohen!

DH and I found out that we were having a boy real early on so only looked at boys names. I put a list of about 20 names together and DH culled it until we were at our top 3... Nate, Chase & Zac. I always loved Nate the most and the night before my c- section we agreed that it was gonna be a Nate. My maiden name was Stevens so his middle name is Steven.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and I are still having this discussion - we have 10 weeks to make a decision!! We have an app on both if our phones that has a list that we can log into and whenever we hear or see a name we like we write it in and then talk about the list every couple of days I am sure we will come to an agreement soon!!

At one stage though DH was suggesting every name that he saw on a coke bottle which was hilarious...

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is a great thread! DH had only one rule when choosing names- we wanted a name that could take them anywhere into their adult lives, so strong and classic with simple spelling was our only rule. Our first son is Clive (age 5) and it suits him so well. Our second is Ray, which suits his placid nature. I think children become the name you choose, or at least, a name can give an impression of what they might be like. We have chosen a strong girl name this time around. Happy name choosing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    DD1 I loved Rachel, Dh was set from the moment we found out that if she was a girl she had to be named after his mum who had died only week before we fell pregnant. So she got his mum's name........

Angel bub 1, 2 and 3 he let me pick

After that we took turns of picking but only if we both liked a name.

This bub is my turn....