+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello! Wow, thank you all so much... Really this is amazing! I'm going to read all of your comments about 10 times now so I can digest... I'm sure I'll have a few more questions. I'm pretty sure it will be a shock to the system coming from here but I think where I live in London is pretty much as suburban as possible without being rural... Ah, fingers crossed for the visas. I will let you know, as I am sure I might be in need of more help. I passed my English exam (bit of joke but I guess it is easier for them to ask everyone for it!)...

We keep telling Lily about Australia and she even says 'Stralia...

Fingers crossed,

Fxxx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Useful wesite

For accomodation in Canberra & surrounds:
    www.allhomes.com.au.
    Hope that's ok mods.
    It's for rentals and to buy, with pix and prices.
    Prepare to be shocked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So... I got my skills Assessment back and it was positive - yipee! So now I am applying for ACT sponsorship and really wondered if you have any tips on good primary schools? Since if we move early 2013 our daughter will start school Jan 14...!
    We also have to write a statement for Canberra including ideas on rent utilities etc. I'm OK on researching rent but utilities?!?! Do you have any approx amounts for Canberra for a family of 3 (2 big people and 1 little one?)? I'm guessing if we are in an inner suburb we will have a 2 bed unit and if we go far out a small house?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's OK, I live in London nothing to do with rent surprises me...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In terms of primary schools, it really depends where you decide to live. There's a primary school in almost every suburb so it's hard to narrow down! Have you decided what area you might be looking at?

Utilities will range depending on many things such as the size of your house, the type of heating you have (ie gas v electric) and what time of the year it is. We have ducted gas heating and the bill is 4-5 times as much in the winter quarter as it is in the summer one. In a 4 bedroom house with 2 adults and 2 kids, our electricity bill ranges from $250-500 per quarter (summer v winter) and our gas ranges from $180-900 (summer v winter). You generally don't pay for water if you rent but our water bill is around $250/quarter. That's probably not a huge amount of help though as it sounds like you might get a smaller place. It may at least be a guide.

Feel free to PM me any time if you need any more guidance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were thinking of Belconnen... I hope we get somewhere with gas heating since electric is always a killer. I'm pretty used to seasonal fluctuation in bills as we have the heating on for all of the winter here so your guide was great... I've got so many papers to complete these next few weeks my head is spinning! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Belconnen has a mix of older suburbs (30-40 years old) and new suburbs (like Dunlop and West Macgregor) the older suburbs will have bigger blocks but the houses will be older so generally not as energy efficient as the newer houses which affects your energy bills. We too have ducted gas heating and pay about $1000 for the winter quarter but summer quarter our gas bill is $250.

We live in Belconnen and it's great for young families (we have a 2.5 year old DS and a week old DD), and the area is booming (mall just got a big upgrade, new child and families clinic at Kippax (in Belconnen) and lots of great parks for kids).